servi trans alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• servi trans alignment

I am putting together a 1963 servi and need help with tranny alignment. Whene adjuster screw is seated in the slot the allows the tranny to move forward or back to adjust the front chain the trans sits crooked and is not lined up with the motor. The frame has been repaired but all measurements based on factory drawings are correct and seems to be very straight. I am worried that if not in perfect alignment the sprokets will wear unevenly as well as bushings in the trans.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

The bottom of you transmission housing [ the two inner bottom mounting studs of the case ] is shaped like the built in guide of your frames transmission mounting fitting. The case bottom, where those two studs are, is rectangular shaped, to fit in the rectangular shaped frame fitting. These two opposing shapes keep the transmission inline with your engine. Paps

Comment

the 3 transmission studs have 2 flat sides on them that have to fit in the slots in the frame---do you have them lined up so the trans is sitting on the very bottom on all three studs? sometimes one or all of these studs get turned a little so they don't drop in like they should

Comment

Those little tidbits of knowledge Paps are worth a million. I didn't know that, I just tighten them up because they like to come loose. Here I was straight and I didn't know it. I wondered about that same question but just figured if something was wrong I would know it. I always figured if it was a little twisted it would go down the road crooked or something. Maybe it is and I am just used to it. They are all "swervicars" you know. Dave in Mespo called my trike scary years ago. Swervicars scary, not the least. Denise

Comment

servi rans alignment

thanks to all who have responded - I thought I had these ligned up and all the way in the slots but I will check again. Sometimes the simple solution is the one we don't see!

Comment

Glad it helps you out Denise.

In my 45 trans build topic at the link below, I show those studs as they should be positioned in the transmission case. I believe I state to back them off for alignment, if tightening up will not permit it.

http://www.flatheadpower.com/tech/vi...hp?f=6&t=10548

Comment

Paps,
              I couldn't get that link to work. Maybe it is something with my computer.
              Denise

Comment

Good Link to Pa's WL Tranny Rebuild

Denise,
                He didn't copy the complete address, this one should work. Get a fresh cup of coffee and some snacks, there are 220 replies to the topic and about a zillion pictures.

have fun!

mike

http://www.flatheadpower.com/tech/vi...smission+build

Comment

Oops Sorry Denise. Thanks for correcting it Mike. Paps

Comment

Alright, I went through the site. What page was the picture? I saw the bottom of the trans picture, was that it? I thought you showed it in the frame. Either way that is quite the source of technical stuff. What was that about the oil sump or drain on the bottom? I could have sworn that there was a port for oil to drain when you removed the nuts off the bottom of the trans. Was I imagining stuff? I know my servicar leaks alot from the trans. I always top it off after intervals of riding, and before I take it out. Thanks for showing me the site. Denise

Comment

Denise....Page three shows a good view of the studs mounted in the transmission case bottom. If you save the photo, you can zoom in close enough on it to view the flats on the studs, and how the are inline with the case mounting bosses. Hope this link works: http://www.flatheadpower.com/tech/vi...&sd=a&start=40 There are no drains in a 45 case. The forum members discuss several ways of how to incorporating one on the same page.

Comment

Yep, that is the picture. I couldn't get it to zoom in when I saved it. Oh well, I get the idea. I know that there is a system for pulling the oil out of the trans that Warren at 45 Restoration used to carry. We talked and he no longer has it but he said it is available through auto parts. I never looked into it though but it works on vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                        X