Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fact or fiction? Early 45's from the 1930s-early 40s running big twin front brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact or fiction? Early 45's from the 1930s-early 40s running big twin front brakes?

Here's the details,...

I've been looking around for photos showing old 45's running big twin front brakes, rockers, on the old 1930s I-beam front ends. I've heard now and then that it was a popular "upgrade" but I've yet to see actual photos of this from the 1930s to the early 1940s (the prewar days).

I'm taking my '37 45 solo back to a more original look, BUT I don't want to do things that were not seen in the time frame that I'm building it to represent.
    It's just a personal thing mind you, but I'm trying to stay true to that which was actually done in that time frame. Not just speculations of things that "might" have been, or made sense to have done without proof.

Of course for all intended reasons, its very "likely" that a guy could have simply switched things over and given himself a larger big twin front brake system on his old 45 springer font end, though, so far, I've yet to see any proof of this actually being done.

Anyone ever notice anything in old photos, magazine articles, early "Enthusiast" magazine photos from the 1930s to early 40s??

Thanks to all!
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

You not only change the brake but everything on the bottom of the fork. brake, rockers, axle, brake shakle, ETC.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I've never really understood why HD insisited on running 2 completely different brake & wheel set-up's between the 45's and the big twins. There is probably some weight saved but I cannot see much cost savings.

It would make sense that maybe fitting a big twin brake to a WL was a reasonable alterative. The Canadians were smart enough to require it on their WLC's.

Jerry
      Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        I've never really understood why HD insisited on running 2 completely different brake & wheel set-up's between the 45's and the big twins. There is probably some weight saved but I cannot see much cost savings.

It would make sense that maybe fitting a big twin brake to a WL was a reasonable alterative. The Canadians were smart enough to require it on their WLC's.

Jerry
        What's a Servi like?

(I am trying to figure out what I scratched together!)

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have never had a Big Twin brake that worked any better than a 45 brake. For the most part they are pretty weak even when trued and with modern shoes. Most 45s have decent brakes. The reason WLCs used them was so they could have interchangeable wheels, not Big Twin brakes. Servi-Cars adopted them for the same reasons, Big Twin wheels and LARGER axles, not the brakes. I wish my big Twins stopped like my 45! And they were definitely cheaper to make and lighter weight for the smaller twins. My opinion is that changing to Big Twin brakes will only be a weight penalty and even a handling penalty.
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            You not only change the brake but everything on the bottom of the fork. brake, rockers, axle, brake shakle, ETC.
            Thanks for the info on the change up, I learned about it when I took a look at the difference between the two a few weeks ago, but thank you regardless!
            "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
              I have never had a Big Twin brake that worked any better than a 45 brake. For the most part they are pretty weak even when trued and with modern shoes. Most 45s have decent brakes. The reason WLCs used them was so they could have interchangeable wheels, not Big Twin brakes. Servi-Cars adopted them for the same reasons, Big Twin wheels and LARGER axles, not the brakes. I wish my big Twins stopped like my 45! And they were definitely cheaper to make and lighter weight for the smaller twins. My opinion is that changing to Big Twin brakes will only be a weight penalty and even a handling penalty.
              Robbie
              Robbie-

Thank you very much for your insight into the idea of a changeover! Your examples and experience with the two breaking systems really helps with the details regarding the pros and cons of the initial idea.

Thank you

Comment

With the above explanation, now I know why my front brake is so weak on my VC. I sure wish there was some way to make it better.
                Bob Selph
                1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                1940 Sport Scout
                AMCA#15215

Comment

On a Harley small twin not coming in for judging, why not fit the twin leading shoe brake now being reproduced?

On my quarter mile sprinting VL I found the front brake improved each season until it is now quite good (but never going to throw you over the bars). So careful assembly, skimming the drum to make sure it's round, keeping out grease, and bedding in the linings with some heavy braking could get your VL front brake as good as it's going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                    On a Harley small twin not coming in for judging, why not fit the twin leading shoe brake now being reproduced?

On my quarter mile sprinting VL I found the front brake improved each season until it is now quite good (but never going to throw you over the bars). So careful assembly, skimming the drum to make sure it's round, keeping out grease, and bedding in the linings with some heavy braking could get your VL front brake as good as it's going to get.
                    Sounds like the Model A mech. brakes. They work well when properly installed and adjusted. Then you pretty much wear them in,.. they then conform to the drum being used.

Do they make brake "floaters" as some aftermarket companies did for the A? They would allow the bottom of the shoes to slide out better to get better contact on the drum.

Comment

Originally posted by 1776J View Post
                      Sounds like the Model A mech. brakes. They work well when properly installed and adjusted. Then you pretty much wear them in,.. they then conform to the drum being used.

Do they make brake "floaters" as some aftermarket companies did for the A? They would allow the bottom of the shoes to slide out better to get better contact on the drum.
                      That is what the the twin leading shoe brake does. It has two cams and both top and bottom of the shoes are expanded.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

That is what the the twin leading shoe brake does. It has two cams and both top and bottom of the shoes are expanded.
                        Yes, the Model A "floater" is a bit different, it still uses a single cam, its just that the bottom is on a kind of loose hinged piece you install and adjust to dial it in properly. Some fellows say it works wonderfully, other say they notice no difference.
                        http://www.flatheadted.com/modules.p...dcode=DEADSTOP

Now on the twin leading shoe brake,.... would that be the one shown with two cams on 45 parts depot?

https://flatlandmotorcyclecompany.co...duct_id=143800

Comment

Originally posted by 1776J View Post
                          Yes, the Model A "floater" is a bit different, it still uses a single cam, its just that the bottom is on a kind of loose hinged piece you install and adjust to dial it in properly. Some fellows say it works wonderfully, other say they notice no difference.
                          http://www.flatheadted.com/modules.p...dcode=DEADSTOP

Now on the twin leading shoe brake,.... would that be the one shown with two cams on 45 parts depot?

https://flatlandmotorcyclecompany.co...duct_id=143800
                          Ted's floaters work great on Fords. But the braking system on a H-D is a totally different animal.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Ted's floaters work great on Fords. But the braking system on a H-D is a totally different animal.
                            Yep, that's what I gathered since the only option out there is the dual cam setup.....

Comment

Working...
                            X