Excellent Adventure!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Adventure!!

Just figured I'd post how impressed I am with a Harley 45 on a road trip! I took three days this past weekend and headed for a vintage rally and races. It was (other than local trips) the first real voyage for the old girl. The bike ran flawlessly for the 770 mile roundtrip. I climbed up and over 3 high mountain passes and only had to drop it into second on the steepest pitches. It isn't the quickest machine by far but it does the job. The biggest time issue was all the questions at gas stops. There were times I swear I was parked for an hour! On the trip over I was bragging to folks that it was the first time in a dozen years that I made the ride and didn't get rained on! The trip back made up for that though........ I got drenched and dried out 4 times before I got home! Anyway I have great praise for the little flathead and would recommend that folks that have them use them!!!

Here's a shot on a ferry nearing dark! The pass I had to work my way up and over was loaded with deer! I also met up with a lone moose! I wouldn't have normally done that stretch of road in the dark but my lost time on fuel ups put me in the middle of nowhere after the sun went down!!!

Here's a couple shots from the show..... it's unfortunately dwindling back to the point that I don't think I'll take it in anymore but it was a good ride anyway......

Here's a cool shot between rain drops......

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Thank You Cory For Those Great Photos. I Hope By Looking At More Of These I Will Get A Fire Built Under My Butt And Get Something Back On The Road. I Never Should Have Torn Them All Down At Once

Comment

Thanks for sharing. They didn't desinate those 45's as liberators for not...Heh Reliable, tough, and with the little engine that could attitude. I THINK I CAn ....I THINK I CAN !

Comment

Great stuff! Thanks for the post and the pics.

Comment

Way to go Cory, I have done a couple trips like that. The 45's are great machines and lots of fun. Its a neat feeling running along a mountain pass alone on one and really enjoying just how well they get the job done! great photo's too!

Comment

Got to love the 45's. Hey Cory, Careful that load doesn't shift on ya!
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

glad to hear you made it safe and sound,nice pics amigo love the one with the moutains in the back,im expecting my tranny parts anyday now so we'll have to plan a trip up into some old west kooteney ghost towns..have a gooder.

Comment

Love the photos Cory!!

The two shots with your bike especially,to me that is what having a bike was all about going out on the road with your camping gear crusing along and taking in the sights as you travel down the road.

I know what your talking about with the question and answer "stops" LOL same thing happens with a sidecar.

Thanks again for the photos
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. These old machines were built to ride and I find it quite amazing that so many sit as museum pieces.

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                  Way to go Cory, I have done a couple trips like that. The 45's are great machines and lots of fun. Its a neat feeling running along a mountain pass alone on one and really enjoying just how well they get the job done! great photo's too!
                  You nailed it Tom! A solo ride can be good for the soul. I usually ride over with friends but this time it was just me and it was a positive experience.

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
                  Thank You Cory For Those Great Photos. I Hope By Looking At More Of These I Will Get A Fire Built Under My Butt And Get Something Back On The Road. I Never Should Have Torn Them All Down At Once
                  Get at it flathappy..... I want to see pics of you on the highway now!!

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                  Thanks for sharing. They didn't desinate those 45's as liberators for not...Heh Reliable, tough, and with the little engine that could attitude. I THINK I CAn ....I THINK I CAN !
                  Paps......there were a few times where I was thinkin' I hope it can! But it did and that's all I could ask for......

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
                  Got to love the 45's. Hey Cory, Careful that load doesn't shift on ya!
                  Steve..... I had a couple ratchet straps on that gear and I'm pretty sure I coulda rode it upside down and nothing would have fell off..... I did however bring way more tools than I needed, but I guess that's better than needin' them and not having 'em!

Originally posted by gary.h View Post
                  glad to hear you made it safe and sound,nice pics amigo love the one with the moutains in the back,im expecting my tranny parts anyday now so we'll have to plan a trip up into some old west kooteney ghost towns..have a gooder.
                  The shot you liked was taken up in the Rogers Pass if you look directly behind the bike you can see a snow shed. Yup......ya better get that old girl back on her feet so we can hit the trail!

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                  Love the photos Cory!!

The two shots with your bike especially,to me that is what having a bike was all about going out on the road with your camping gear crusing along and taking in the sights as you travel down the road.

I know what your talking about with the question and answer "stops" LOL same thing happens with a sidecar.

Thanks again for the photos
                  It's always cool to hear from likeminded folks Chuck. I love touring around on old iron.... I just don't get enough time to do as much as I'd like to. Oh, well it makes the time out mean that much more when I get a chance to.

Those gas stops can be quite the process I met some pretty cool folks with lots of stories and I answered many a question more than once last weekend! I also scooped a real cool old motorized bicycle that I have to go and pick up soon!!!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

6 or 12 volt ?

Hey Cory,

Are you running a 6v system or 12v you mention about being on the road after the sun went down the shot with your flattie on the boat looks to be night time.

If you are running a 6v system it had to be a bit dim at night wasn't it?
                    I am weighing between 6-12v for the VL I am working on
                    Chuck
                    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck...... I'm running the 6-Volt system. The lights aren't too bad but I'm sure that 12 volts would brighten things up a bit. I did O.K. in the dark but then again I spent quite a few years playing with Lucas electrics and anything is an improvement on the Prince of Darkness!!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory....which ferry was that and where did you get to?

Dewey

Comment

The 6v lights aren’t as bad as their reputation. They work ok for seeing what’s up ahead. Now being bright enough for me to see what’s ahead and bright enough for others to see me, are two different things. Remember the old adage. “Never out ride your head light” Besides on a 45, how fast could you be going anyway?
                          Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM.
                          ------------
                          Steve
                          AMCA #7300

Comment

Cory

You seem to know what you are doing.

Keep on keeping on

Comment

Great post and thanks for sharing with us. Ya gotta love those old 45s.

I just returned for a 2,000 mile ride from Texas to Connecticut on a newer bike (1979) I bought on ebay. I did the ride solo and rediscovered the joy of a long distance solo ride on an old machine. Recharged my batteries. The few miles I did ride with some friends were OK, but not the same as a solo run.
                              Buzz Kanter
                              Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                              [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                              [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X