Seatpost Question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatpost Question.....

Burnin' the midnight oil again...... I figured I'd attack the seat post tonight. The little 45 had a sprung solo on it when I got it and I figured since I had all of the parts and picked up a seat at the swapmeet last weekend, that I would throw it together. Well I got all the accumulated crud out of the seatpost tube and then thought I'd check the book for greasing purposes. Now my question finally.........is there supposed to be a grease nipple on the seatpost tube? It looks like there is one in the manual. Someone at some point put a couple holes into the tube and mounted a coil bracket. I had to shorten up a bolt tonight because it was sticking into the tube about four threads worth. It also looks like there is a little slop in the bushing as well and I will likely change that out. Thanks in advance for any input..... I'm full of questions lately.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Cory,
    Colony Machine reproduces the seat post bushing. Part # 8859-1.
    There should be a grease fitting on the top frame casting of the seat tube.
    You should weld up the holes in the tube and get the correct type coil and mounts They clamp on to the tube.
    Most importantly you need to get a parts book and service manual. These are also available in reprints from many sources.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the response Chris! I've got three different manuals including the green military one but you are right I've got to get my hands on a parts book. I guess then I wouldn't be asking so many questions eh?
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Reproduction parts books can be had at a couple different places, call Lonnie at Antique Cycle, they're only about $20. I've found that so many places refer to parts by their correct HD Part #, there's no way to know for sure what's really 'correct' for my bike without a Spare Parts Catalog.

Comment

Working...
        X