No announcement yet.

Springer Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad your around tonight. You've helped me solve my head scratchin'! I'm not sure why I used the term ratchet when I referred to that cone. I was thinkin' "gear type". No I did not remove the inner race. That's the way things came apart. I guess now I'll go ahead and do a complete teardown. Your posts have indicated that I need to add a couple of parts to my next order and my problem will be fixed. Thanks a million man!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,
      Glad to help. The races are not just an issue with the stem length, but a major safety issue. The way your fork is now there is actually no pressure on the bearings and it is rotating purely on the grease between the lower cup and the fork cross member. The upper is just floating in place. Once the races are installed you will find that the fork assembly becomes much smoother in motion and you are able to adjust the bearing pressure. The top nuts should sandwich the handlebar plate and then the damper assembly will all fit properly.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thankfully this machine has never made it further than down the street! I've been through almost the rest of the bike and have found some little (and some not so little) problems here and there. It's as though the whole bike was just slapped together. It's a good thing that I decided to change the bars and discovered a problem. It's a very good thing that a fella can show up here and ask a silly question and someone has the patience to answer it all in steps to make it real easy. Thanks again Robbie!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
        X