Servi-Car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servi-Car question

I recently bought 2 titles from a guy that got them years ago from a local police department auction. They are supposedly for 1937 Servi-cars but the serial number is 37Wxxxx and not 37Gxxxx. This is not the first time that I have encountered this in a 1937. 30 years ago a guy in Eau Claire, WI had a real original (at least I thought so at the time) 1937 Police Servi and his number was also 37Wxxxx. I have wondered if one my titles should belong to his servi but he and the servi both seem to be long gone.

My question is: althought 37 literature calls the servi a G Model when did the serial number actually get a G in it. 1936 Servi Cars definitely did not have the G but used the same R designation as the solo.

Jerry

Jerry,

You are correct that 1937 Servi-Cars motors bear W serial numbers (not WL) and not G serial numbers. 1938 is the first year for a G marked motor. I have factory photos showing this for 1937 and 1938 and a factory delivery invoice for a 1937 Servi-Car listing its 37W serial number. Hope this helps.

Bruce
    Bruce Palmer III
    AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Working...
    X