Repro rear brake assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repro rear brake assemblies

Is anyone using the repro rear brake assemblies for the 45 and do you have any feedback pro or con?
    Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
    Dan #6938 FUBO

Dan,

When I was redoing my WLA, I used a lot of aftermarket parts.

I have come to grips, with the reality........that some of the aftermarket parts......simply will not work properly, a lot of time and effort will be crammed into them to TRY and make them work correctly.

Aftermarket rear brake observations...

My sprocket was not round......rivited concentric....chain tight..chain loose...to the extreme.

2, Speedometer drive gear on drum, not installed correctly....large gap/ not pressed on completely causing misalignement betweed drum and drive assembly

3, Rear backing plate for brakes, speedometer drive's hole....not angled correctly, and bracket for retainer...off center.

I replaced the aftermarket parts with NOS parts, problem solved.

I am also in the process of finding good used or NOS parts to replace all the aftermarket items on it.

George
    Last edited by George Greer; 12-14-2008, 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add drive gear on drum info.
    George Greer
    AMCA # 3370

Comment

Isnt it a shame and a sham ! Most of the after market stuff is junk !!!Nothing but nothing replaces OEM on 90+ percent of any part motorcycles or for that matter anything !(I WILL ADMIT THERE ARE A FEW GREAT SOURCES OUT THERE ! )
      MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Comment

Anytime I need to use a re-pop part I try to think about it as simply a starter part and its my job to make it right. I know it shouldn’t have to be that way, but lets face it, most times that is all re-pop parts are. Just starter kits.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Man that's just plain scary to me.

I have (luckily) been able to find NOS parts for my '65 Pan over the last 10 years. And I would say my bike was actually in good shape in terms of being OEM overall. I had often thought of going to repop early on and avoiding the research and pain of searching for parts and sometimes feeling I may have overpaid for some of it. Actually the search was often interesting and fun though.

After looking at posts like this over the years it was apparently time and $$ well spent overall or at least on average.

Not to mention the other side if you aren't able to do your own work (day job!). That's a whole other accident waiting to happen if you find a shop that talks a good game but 3 months after the bike won't run.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

I have a set of new repro BT shoes that do not align properly, i.e. when placed even at the bottom where the flats for the actuator are, the "rings" at the top are misaligned by about 1/4"! What a mess! Some of the repro parts are not even a good starting point! Accordingly, I relined a factory set of shoes.

Provided they can be repaired, used or even damaged H-D parts are better than many reproduction parts. Especially brake parts, where your life can depend on quality.
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Repo Head Light

I RECENTLY HAD A FIRE ON MY wla AND THE ONLY REPO PART ON THE BIKE WAS THE ONE THAT FAILED. tHE REPO HEADLIGHT COMPLETELY MELTED!!!MOSTLY MADE OF FIBERGLASS!!!

Comment

I agree with ohio rider

steve says its a starter part

while you continue your search for a nos part or a great used part it's a way to get your scoot rolling. remember if it is a custom part it means you have to customize it to make it fit. JMHO
                Moose
                aka Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by RCASSIN View Post
                  I RECENTLY HAD A FIRE ON MY wla AND THE ONLY REPO PART ON THE BIKE WAS THE ONE THAT FAILED. tHE REPO HEADLIGHT COMPLETELY MELTED!!!MOSTLY MADE OF FIBERGLASS!!!
                  I have never seen a fiberglass headlamp.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                  X