RL-Early WL Front Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RL-Early WL Front Fender

I am trying to figure out when the change was made from the longer RL-VL type fender to the later springer fender. I noticed something was amiss with the front fender on a recently purchased 36 VLH. The fender was fitted with the correct mounting bracket, but holes had been drilled ahead of the reinforcement strap inside the fender to mount to the spring fork. The fender has the later form, but the reinforcement stap location is between the location on a VL or EL fender. 37 to 39 WL or? Thanks for any info.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Originally posted by koanes View Post
    I am trying to figure out when the change was made from the longer RL-VL type fender to the later springer fender. I noticed something was amiss with the front fender on a recently purchased 36 VLH. The fender was fitted with the correct mounting bracket, but holes had been drilled ahead of the reinforcement strap inside the fender to mount to the spring fork. The fender has the later form, but the reinforcement stap location is between the location on a VL or EL fender. 37 to 39 WL or? Thanks for any info.
    You have an EL/UL fender on your VL.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Not an EL or UL fender. The reinforcing brace under the fender is not in the correct location for the 36 and up tubular springer. It is in the location used for the I-beam fork used on RL and early WL springers. Unless the 36 EL models had a unique fender placement, essentially moving the tail of the fender closer to the ground. The fender is NOS.
      Last edited by koanes; 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Does the fender have lower horn mount bracket holes in it?
        Be sure to visit;

Comment

No holes for horn mount. There are holes for a mud flap.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
            No holes for horn mount. There are holes for a mud flap.
            How about a photo?
            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Here is a picture of the reinforcement location. The primered part is the mystery fender, the other is the 36-48 variety. My parts book shows a different part number for 39WL. Maybe a one year only fender?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by koanes; 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

The mystery fender has the later shape but has the same factory holes as this VL fender. The second picture shows the factory silver stencil, the original owners initials. Robert P Boles of North Carolina.
                Attached Files
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

WLC ????? Paps

Comment

My guess would be that if a front fender has the same stamping as a VL fender and the reinforcing bracket rear of the proper placement of the holes, it would be a RL fender with Vl brackets. If it is a NOS part it could be made long after the RL/VL production and whatever material they had left being used. They could very well have used the later sheet metal. As everybody probably know, on the 45 series in the I-beam era, the front fender was mounted on the main fork as on all later tubular springers. On the VL the fender was mounted on the spring fork. I suppose the sheet metal is basically the same.
                    Also the 1937-39 WL used the I-beam fork, so there might be a special one-year front fender around 1939-40 that was later homogenized and deleted from the parts book.
                    Last edited by Fiskis; 12-08-2008, 10:46 AM.
                    AMCA #2124

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm fairly certain this is a fender for an I-beam fork WL model, 37 and 38. It doesn't have any holes for side trim which I think is the reason for the part number change in 39.
                      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I had a 39 I-beam springer. The Ole Lady sold the fender. The person who bought it, put it on a 41 and up wl springer. he said it fit well ? Paps

Comment

Some new info here. I was surprised to find that the 34-39 RL/WL fender is unique. It is very similar to the tubular springer fender, but has more flare at the tail. When you align one atop the other, the profile is exactly the same until you get to the last 6" or so, where the RL fender flares considerably more. The VL fender 34-36 is unique as well, with a lower, flatter profile. I took some pictures using the RL fender and a 40's fender with some NOS trim to clearly show the difference. The 39WL trim is one yr. only. Pic # 3 shows the RL fender with the 39WL only trim. Pic #4 shows the RL fender with 39-48 tube springer trim. Pic #5 shows a 40's fender with the 39WL trim. The pics came up in the wrong order, the first picture in the row is #5 etc. I got some good help from a couple of fellow members, Thank You. I am still looking for a fender for my 36VLH, have RL fender to trade.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by koanes; 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM.
                          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
                          X