Speed Tips For 1931 Harley V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Tips For 1931 Harley V?

OK, call me nuts, but I am planning on taking my recently purchased 1931 Harley V down to Wheels Through Time museum www.WheelsThroughTime.com to get it running after at least 20 years of neglect.

Then we (Dale Walksler and I) plan on race prepping it for a land speed run at the Maxton Mile in October. We will cover the entire process in American Iron Magazine www.aimag.com.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the top speed for this low compression flathead WITHOUT harming the bike I sure would love to hear from you.

Thanks.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

[QUOTE=Buzz Kanter
    If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the top speed for this low compression flathead WITHOUT harming the bike I sure would love to hear from you.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Put it in back of a pickup?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

talk to paul

http://www.fabercycle.com/

Comment

Steve Slocombe has spent considerable time and effort making a V model go fast. He is a good guy and diehard VL enthusiast.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
          Steve Slocombe has spent considerable time and effort making a V model go fast. He is a good guy and diehard VL enthusiast.
          Thanks. Yes, I am in contact with Steve and he has given me a number of pointers that I know will help us along. But always looking for a few more if possible.
          Buzz Kanter

Comment

I am told the original pot metal carb on my 1931 Harley V is not a good carb. I have found a rebuilt Linkert M-36 carb and was wondering if that is too much carburetion for my old flathead.

I would like something I can ride with on the street and still get maximum top speed at the Maxton Mile land speed run next month. Is the M-36 a good choice? What would be better?

Thanks.
            Buzz Kanter

Comment

polydyn

hi buzz,as you are racing next month,this may not be of any use to you,but it is very interesting,and all old engines could use this .when my father was in the drag race game we discovered www.polydyn.com . these polymer coatings were amazing,and our performance ,and engine life was greatly improved. as well as lubrication. so we started doing it to old shovelhead and pan engines,most of these engines are still running strong.be sure and read the iroc race section.its very interesting.dale knows about this. lonnie
              www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
              X