servicar id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• servicar id

hi guys i'm new here , i am looking at a servicar and am trying to get a year id on it it has a eng # SA*****H1 stamped on the rear of the right hand side of the eng case and this number is repeated on the right hand side of the head stem on the frame is this a proper id as its not in the usual place or a normal id number for Hds as all the ones i have owened before have numbers like 42WLA*****, i hope someone can clear this up for me as this bike would be a good project as its unusual over here in OZ

I have been told that some 45 numbers were stamped by the municipality that put it to use. This was because the motors were produced in great quantity during the war years and then post war put into service working for police departments etc.. If those numbers were strictly servicar it would start with a G right from the factory. I believe that they would have the year incorporated into the number as well for both HD and municipality. Denise

Comment

Perhaps you are looking at 5A12345H1? I don't know the post 1970 code for a Servi-Car off the top of my head, but it could be 5A. I could check at home, but the machine appears to be a '71 model.
      VPH-D

Comment

servi id

thanks for the replies . i did some digging last night after i posted on here and found some sites that have vin numbers listed on them for everything but 70's servicars and from what i can gather it seems that pre 1970 the eng number would be on the left hand case boss and be something like
        69GE20045 the first 2 digits being the year the letters being the model and the rest being the serial number but in 1970 it seems this system was chucked out and changed to the eng numbers being stamped on the rear of the right hand case and repeated on the right hand side of the head stem with a number similar to this GE20045H1 the letters being the model the next 5 digits being the serial number the H stands for the decade ( 1970 ) and the last digit being the year . from this i can dejuce that like you VPH-D the bike is a 1971 build but the first letter is the stumbling block , it could be a 5 and not an S or a very badly shaped G but as the numbers appear to be ligit i have gone ahead with the deal and aquired the bike and now joined the ranks of the possibly criminaly insane but very happy servicar owners !!! perhaps i will never know what the 1st letter or number is or what it means but if someone can put me out of my misery please do
        cheers pete ps : thanks for the replies and for providing such a grate site

Comment

Do a search over at the Flathead Power Tech Talk forum. Of course you can become a member if not one already and ask that question under ServCar topics. I know there is a direct phone number available to the MoCo on the serial numbers. I just don't recall that number off hand. Many have used the number to identify everything about their 70's machines, including ServiCar. I'm sure that the MoCo can verify what that particuliar number is also. Paps

Comment

servi id

thanks paps for the guide, i went onto the flatpower site and in looking through one of the many links came across a some pics of eng numbers of HD's in the 1970's and the mistery number is a 5 (right again VPH-D ) its an odd shaped stamp (more of an s reminded me of german ss letters) and seems to only be used 1970-71 as the number 5 stamps after that seem to be more rounded in the pics , so then i went back to the vin sites and realised thet if i had have read them more closely i would have found that 5A = GE750 model , problem solved anyway thanks for the help all of you have given me
            cheers pete

Comment

All H-D VIN numbers underwent a change in 1970. No more left side 68GE type numbers. If I remember correctly, that goofy font was used at least into the mid 80s, and perhaps longer. Servi-Cars are a scream!
              VPH-D

Comment

Here is a pic of my 1973.
                http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.co..._0743.JPG.html
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

servicar

thanks chris for the pic of your 73 servi , i will have to take one of mine and post it so you can give me an idea of whats missing besides the dissy , carby , air cleaner and that it has cats eye dash. i'll make that the mission for tomorrow .
                  cheers pete

Comment

Working...
                  X