VL seat mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL seat mounts

Going thru the items for the seat I came across something that makes me believe I may have a wrong or missing part.
    As you can see the seat bar had been brazed previously and I had intended to replace it when the time came but now it looks that the seat pan may not belong to this bike as I understand it there is suppost to be spacers located at the back of the seat and bracket but the mount holes don't even come close to mounting together what does the pan belong to or what else am I missing.....
    Attached Files
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Chuck, the seat 'T' is Indian and the hole spread is about 8.25" at the rear. The pan is H-D and the hole spread is approx. 10.75" at the rear. Your seat pan is a later style with vent holes. VL pans did not have vent holes. Steve at VL Heaven has the correct finished seats and possibly the seat 'T'. You should get his book on VL's as it is full of information you will not find anywhere else. In no way do I represent VL Heaven. Just a suggestion.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric,

I have the book and I must have gone thru it a dozen times till I finally found the page last night it also shows a flat bar on the "T" bracket
      As for the seat pan I knew the VL's didn't have vent holes and the holes look as if somebody took a drill to it they don't have any set pattern to them I was going to tig weld them up and sand them but maybe it will get sold as is along with the seat "T"
      One step forward.......and two back.........
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Dear Chuck, I agree that if you are going for a 'restored' bike you should not be starting where you are. An Indian owner and an originality fan with a post 1939 Harley will want your two parts.

Comment

Thanks for the input

Thanks Steve,

This has been a true learning experience with some of the parts that came with the bike
          I will be selling the two parts to continue the venture........any one interested?
          I am trying to consentrate with getting it up on wheels and running some things I discovered the other night when I started going thru some of the boxes of parts that I haven't looked at since I brought it home were the right tank which is in pretty good shape......unlike the left side, is a earlier tank with the forward filler port I was planning on purchasing new tanks but now I may consider using the right side.
          Also the front forks are the earlier style with the 7/16 holes
          Decisions.........decisions........decisions....
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I can take care of your seat needs and do it correctly as it came from the factory, which is hard to find in our hobby----www.worshamcastle.com

Comment

Working...
            X