VL alemite washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL alemite washers

After Steve mentioned the 1/4 point per wheel deduction for missing washers under the alemite fittings.............

This got me to thinking........again...and after checking my bagged parts for the wheels and also the frame,I didn't have any washers under any of the alemite fittings on the frame or the wheels.

The only ones that I have not removed as of yet are the ones on the forks.

Just curious........should there be washers under all of the fittings on the bike or just the wheels?

On a high note I installed the gear box last night photo to follow........
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

I put them on after Davenport 07 but then got gigged for the air chuck not being 180 degrees out from the fitting...The dang wheels are already laced so, they shall stay thet way! So lace the wheels in accordance with the knuckle rule and be safe.

They do not fit on all that well either, oh well.

Mike

Comment

Dear Chuck, the washers are only under the wheel hub alemites on the VL. The reason is that otherwise the grease fittings just foul the spacer ring inside. The washers are not fitted under any other VL alemites.

Dear Mike. I appealed the judging decision to deduct points on the VLs for not having the tyre inflators 180 degrees from the hub grease fittings, because there is no evidence of this edict before the knuckle shop manual. Unrestored VL wheels seem somewhat random - if anything there is a trend to see the grease fittings at 90 degrees to the inflator. Appeal the judging decision if it is important to you. The judges are humans too and we make mistakes, but try to rectify them and to adjust the judging standards to reflect recent research.

Best regards

Comment

No hard feelings at all Steve. I actually enjoyed the whole procedure, you guys most cetainly do not have it easy. From what I have gleaned I would be awful at judging, too strict!

I am afraid the bike is too fun to ride and won't be in the "showroom new" condtion that the amca restored class calls for.. I understand that and it should be the benchmark as well. I have ridden it about 300 miles since February and so the miles are showing.

It is already gaining a nice patina from the gas, oil and grease leaking out of wherever it can leak from...The hand oiler check valve did booger up and leaked out a fresh FULL tank of oil all over the floor!

Ride on, I'll see you in Eustis next year. Maybe with a original paint Honda!

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X