Port Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Polishing

What do you guys use to polish the ports of your aluminum heads? I've been doing it by hand with emery cloth and it is taking forever. There must be something I can chuck up into a hand drill to speed this process up. Any idea's? I'm shooting for a mirror finish, but if I need to continue polishing by hand it ain't going to happen. -Steve
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

I've never used a mirror finish on a port. It actually increases the boundary layer ( the amount of fuel that condenses out of suspension on the port walls ) especially at lower velocities. I've always used a 80 or 100 grit flapwheel myself. The local hop-up gurus around here prefer 60 - 80 grit finishes.
    Brian
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
      polish the ports of your aluminum heads?
      Steve,

I'm confused, I don't think I've ever seen a "port" on an aluminum flathead head. What are you trying to polish?, the intake port passages in the cast iron cylinders?

As bmh mentioned, you get very little return for your effort by trying to polish the intake ports on a WL. If you haven't already invested in the little pamphlets published by Flathead Power for hopping-up, stroking, and improving Linkert performance for the 45's, I guarantee you'll find them interesting reading.

Listen to what Cotten said in the other forum, make sure the gasket mating surface is perfectly flat. If you are using abrasive paper glued to a flat surface for your "Polish Mill", it doesn't have to be 500 grit, a mirror finish is not required. The only requirement is FLAT!

I'm running some of my flatheads with copper head gaskets and others with blue teflon, they both work. I use 120 grit to "mill" the gasket surfaces. Straight line motion seems more effective than swirling. The copper gaskets get a shot of Copper Cote, both sides, and the teflon gaskets go on dry.

Unless you're going with WLR cams, oversize valves and a 1 1/2" Linkert, quit wasting your time on the intake ports and worry more about getting it to seal up so that it doesn't suck air anywhere it shoudn't.

jmho

mike

Comment

Thanks guys, for the help with my continuing education on these 45’s. I guess I’m going to have to break down and get myself a few books for this bike. All I have now is the (green) motor overhaul book for it.

I’m using the copper head gaskets. Glad I didn’t put it together last night because I was unaware I needed to apply copper cote to those gaskets. Thanks for saving me a head ache. Is there anything else I should know? Do you use any type of sealer on the head bolts before installing them? -Steve
        Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 05-07-2008, 07:01 AM.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Copper Head Gaskets

Hello Steve, it's me (RvP) from the next post about compression specs for the 45. I am just learning also and don't know what is true and what is not. In your post to me in that thread you mentioned you are using #5 aluminum heads.

From one of the 45 parts suppliers I was told NOT to use copper head gaskets with aluminum heads, use asbestos or teflon. Copper head gaskets should only be used with iron heads.

The reason given is the expansion of the aluminum head is greater then the cylinder and the asbestos or teflon allows this expansion without hurting the integrity of the gasket. The iron heads have about the same expansion amount as the cylinder and copper works best.

This is what I was told and it makes sense. The question is whether it is true or not. Anyone knowedgeable about when to use copper and when to use asbestos?

Comment

I use teflon head gaskets for aluminum heads for the mentioned difference in expansion rates. The asbestos ones seem to really tear up a set of aluminum heads in long service, leaving a rather deep crosshatch pattern . Don't know about the copper ones.
            Brian
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

After researching several sites, there seems to be many discussions and opinions as to which type head gaskets are best using aluminum heads. Almost like all the opinions on which type oil is best.

I have already purchased the cooper O.E.M. top overhaul gasket set (Part# 55-40) and will be using them. So if my luck holds true that means that since I have the cooper gaskets then the Teflon gaskets are probably the better ones for this application. LOL We’ll see. –Steve
              ------------
              Steve
              AMCA #7300

Comment

Asbestos - messtosis

Steve,
                I played hookey from house chores Saturday and started cleaning my heads that were on with asbestos gaskets for about 2 years. What a mess getting the asbestos off the head. The "meat" of the head gasket came off easily but left behind the top layer of asbestos. I can't tell you which to use, teflon or copper, but I would rather change copper head gaskets once a month than clean up after an asbestos head gasket!

Comment

Gasket removal problems like that are easily solved by applying some paint stripper. The stripper will soften the gasket material to a point where it will just about fall off.
                  Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I prefer the asbestos type. I always have, even on flathead lawn equipment. Many times you can re-use the gaskets, especially if you use a copper or aluminum coat along with it. With me though, many old tried and true ways never change. K-models used no gasket at all. paps

Comment

I know of a fella here in Europe that uses asbestos gaskets, and according to him....using a thin coat of oil on the gasket surface will help keep it from sticking to the parts...

I am using copper gaskets, # 6 heads, thin coat of CopperKote spray..

Retorque head bolts after several heat cycles.

George in Germany
                      George Greer
                      AMCA # 3370

Comment

I never use copper on alloy heads. The asbestos gaskets work really well and almost never fail if the heads are re-torqued. I use them with spray on copper coat. According to the parts books, copper gaskets are for iron heads , asbestos for alloy. And WRs as well as K models used none at all, only aluminum paint.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Ok…. It would be foolish for me to disregard all this excellent advise about not using the copper gaskets for these aluminum heads. I had bought the copper gaskets because that is what was on there when I took it apart. The gaskets where the reason for me taking it apart in the first place. I had severe leaks from almost every head bolt.

It sure is nice having 45 Parts Depot just around the corner now. I’ll swing by there this afternoon and get myself a set of those asbestos gaskets. Would the 60/65 ft. lbs. head bolt torque remain the same with the asbestos gaskets? -Steve
                          ------------
                          Steve
                          AMCA #7300

Comment

Steve, email me direct, please. Paps

Comment

Just went to Flathead Power's web site (part of S&S I guess) - didn't see any of the pamphlets that you described? Any ideas where/how to find them now that S&S has taken over? DrJ

Comment

Working...
                              X