45" transmission date coding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45" transmission date coding

This topic has been started on another forum thread. I figured the topic would produce results here as well. The question is...how does one decipher the date coding on a 45 transmission ? 41 casting numbers all seem to have different date codes. To be correct for a restoration, point wise, how does one determine which trans case to use ? Does this date code matter ? Paps

Paps.

As far as I know we do not look at the date coding of cast numbers when we judge a bike so no points would be deducted.
    Having all the correct period cast numbers on a restoration is a nice touch ,I hope we never get that anal when we judge bikes.

Pete.

Comment

You made my day Pete ! Thanks !!! I learned the date code on the trans case, I wished to use, is an Aug. 41 casting. My engine is an early 42wla type III but the actual date of production falls right on the transition line of early and late 42wla type III. It seems possible this case could have fallen mate to such a set of engine cases, even though, a really close window. Thanks again Pete ! Paps

Comment

Oh yeah......letter means month as "A" would be Jan. and so on. Number is last digit in year, as "1" would be 1941. Paps

Comment

Working...
        X