1/4 Hole in #5 heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 Hole in #5 heads?

Can anyone tell me what the 1/4 hole thru the front cylinder head fin on #5 heads is there for? It is on the right hand side. I've never seen this hole on any #6 heads. I've also never seen anyone have anything attached to it. -Steve

If a #5 is a WLA head then it is where they attached a static ground for radio bikes.

Jerry

Comment

My bike has higher bars with risers and a twist grip throttle. So I use the hole in the head for my throttle return spring...........

Comment

Sound like my 45” has just lost some of its appeal to me. Mine is a 1945WL, so it sounds as though at some point in its life someone has put a set of WLA heads on it.
        Can you tell from this photo if these are WLA heads?
        Attached Files

Comment

Ohio-Rider

I would not woryy in the least and hopefully the appeal of the bike to you is in the riding of it. 1945 is real close to the war and it might have come that way. WLA used a lower compression head and I cannot remember if they are 5's or 6's. I sold my last 45" 25 years ago and the memory is foggy.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry…. You are right about the appeal of 45’s being in the riding of them. Its just that my 45 is the closest bike I own to being "some what correct”. I hadn’t considered that you may be right that with it being the first civilian model built at the end of the war I suppose the factory may have used their left over pile of heads on a few of the WL’s. Humm......

Where the high and low compression heads an option in 1945?

Comment

Working...
            X