VL Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Electronic Ignition

Has anyone tried the Beyond 2000 electronic ignition on a VL? Just got mine back up and running and have not tried any electronic ignitions on any of my old bike. Looking for opinions from the experts..........Thanks

i put one in my 41 u model ..it works great

Comment

Hi
      I put a beyond 2000 on my 58 FLH.Had to reindex the braker gear to get the timeing marks to line up.also had to use timeing light to fine tune as the marks only get you close.Also got kicked off the bike till I got the retard right.But once set you can forget it and it will run smother.As far as starting it still takes 2 prime and starts first time with switch on like always.But on warm up is not as mixture sencitive as it seems to fire more even then a linkert usally does.I think most of that is the gas.The good old regular & ethel sure ran better.I some times run 100 lowled ave gas which acts more like the old ethel and is good in one that parks for extended periods as it never gets stale.So is the electronic braker worth it ? as far as starting I dont see a lot of differance but it is worth it on the runing part.
      Good Luck
      Elton

Comment

VL ignition

I installed electronic ign on my 36 VLH 3 years ago. Not sure why I did it as the VL's start easy, but it went in well and I called and got some help when I was installing it. I recommend it

Comment

Been using one for the past few years in the pan and I don't have any complaints.
          The freedom of not needing to change points every 500 miles is great as well.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

What was wrong with the panhead? I am still on the same H-D oem points on my UL 30 years and that many miles later. Starts and runs great, in fact the most reliable ride I have.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I never did discover the cause for my 56 to eat points. It did it as a 6volt system and continued to do it when I switched over to 12 volt. I could always tell when they needed attention, because my normal one kick bike started taking three or four kicks. I'd change them and would be back to a one kick bike. They where never burnt looking or dirty. The contact areas would just be cratered as you would expect from a part with much more service time. I may never know.....? LOL
              -Steve
              ------------
              Steve
              AMCA #7300

Comment

Interesting problem. The only time I have seen severe pitting like that has been condenser value issues or polarity issues. Coil wired in reverse, bad condenser ground, /etc. I guess the only important thing is that now you can ride whenever you like without the problem. And that is what it is all about! Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the inputs, I picked up a supply of NOS points, might try an electronic when I run out.
                  Louie
                  FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                  Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                  YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I fitted the prototype electronic ignition unit to my '34 VL racer. If you're reading this Ed, you still have my original VL circuit breaker to return. I don't sense any great difference, but this bike is not stock and the VLs usually start easily in any case. I've found a couple of sets of nos Harley points and am interested in trying these as a comparison.

Comment

Working...
                    X