1963 Servicar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Servicar

I'm doing a restoration on a 1963 servi-car. Information I'm getting is a little sketchy. Anybody out there got any old or original photos. Looking for muffler, header mounting pictures and headlight front end photos. Parts book says 18 inch front wheel was available. The question is, pertaining to this wheel, which type of 18 inch rim (aluminum sportster type or steel). Also, I Still need original solid rear rims and a complete box assembly. Reply here or retrocycle@aol.com. Thanks to all.

Rob

I think the parts books showed the 18" wheels as being available, but the order forms did not. In other words, 18' wheels were not available on new machines after about 1947.
    VPH-D

Comment

All the way into the 60's 18 inch wheels were available from the factory as a replacement part. They never had alloy rims. Only Sportsters had those, and then mostly XLHs. XLCHs were considerd sport models and came stock with steel rims and alloy as an option. All the rims laced to star hub and '67 up hubs were steel 18 inch and most I have seen were black painted. I worked in Harley shops both dealer and independent from the late '60's to the early '80's and saw lots of old police bikes and stripped dressers with the occasional one sporting an 18 inch front. Roger Hull, the famous RIDER magazine scribe rode a '75 dresser with an 18 up front. I also laced a few up on big twins, makes them handle much quicker. I NEVER saw a '60's servi-car with one only 16s . Robbie

Comment

There is a 63 servicar on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...em130193556604

Perhaps these pics can help.

Comment

Looking at period photos from the late 40s and 50s, you'll find an occasional machine with an 18" front wheel. I suspect this was more common on the 40-46 machines due to their short rake. I kinda always thought this was one of the reasons the 21" front rim became popular, better handling. I also left the dealership world in the early 80s.
          VPH-D

Comment

Gentlemen,

I really do appreciate all the replies I've gotten in this thread. It has been helpful to say the least. Any more information that you feel you can share would be most appreciated. I'm still looking for the elusive photos (enthusiast, brochures etc.) that anybody may be able to share.

Another question about tank badges.....

Were they badges or a water transfer decal? I have seen both so I'm wondering if both may be correct?

Thanks to a few very nice e-mails I now have some leads on some needed parts.

Does anyone know the Wagner number for the rear brake hose?

I'll be checking back.

By the way, I recently purchased all the obsolete inventory from an old H-D dealership. I'm selling on ebay under the user ID: retrocycleparts. I also now have a shop in Northern NJ (Butler)where we do many services for antique bikes including Powder Coating, parkerizing, cad plating and many other items. Please take a look at our website retrocycle.com. Also, please feel free to call us at 973-838-8588.

THANKS Gang!

Rob Nussbaum
            Retrocycle, LLC.

Comment

'63 tanks all had screwed on metal badges on Big Twins and Servi-cars. The only decals were on lightweights (Scat, Ranger, Bobcat,etc) and Sportster XLCHs and racers (KR,KRTT). Some police departments received tanks with no emblems because they painted a local department name on them. Some of those tanks probably ended up with decals but that is never correct for Servi-car.
              Robbie

Comment

Thanks to one of the members in this thread, I've found the wheels for the 1963. I do appreciate this. I'm now on the search for the dash base for the two light dash. If anybody out there knows the whereabouts of one of these, I'd appreciate the lead. The dash base is similar to the 3 light type except that it uses only the two outside sockets. At least that's the info I have at the time. My parts book says it has a 1962 part number and was only used for a few years. Thanks. Rob

Comment

Rub, I have a set of RH shift tanks, I assumed were 62. They have screw on script ? Paps

Comment

Originally posted by cyclevideo View Post
                    Thanks to one of the members in this thread, I've found the wheels for the 1963. I do appreciate this. I'm now on the search for the dash base for the two light dash. If anybody out there knows the whereabouts of one of these, I'd appreciate the lead. The dash base is similar to the 3 light type except that it uses only the two outside sockets. At least that's the info I have at the time. My parts book says it has a 1962 part number and was only used for a few years. Thanks. Rob
                    Email me direct. I can supply original bases restored with NOS sockets ... Perry

Comment

Working...
                    X