Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wld

I know WL & WLA But what is a WLD???

Lloyd, the WLD was the sport version of the WL series, along the lines of the RLD and VLD. The D normally indicates a modification for more power. In the case of the WLD it involves larger intake ports and higher compression heads. Later types had deeper finning on the cylinders which makes the entire engine look bigger. They use standard valves and are not inclined like the racers. A gain of just a couple of horsepower but enough to notice. Most special parts like cylinders are pretty much non existent so if you don't have a pair it is not really worth looking for them. A pair sold recently on Ebay for $2400 !!!
    Robbie

Comment

Thanks RUB, I'm looking at a WLD that's is very complete but not 100% correct, it has 61 or 62 G tanks on it, did 1940 tanks have emblems or decals? Thanks, Lloyd

Comment

Lloyd,
        The tanks for a '40 model should have a teardrop chrome nameplate with no trim strips. In '41 trim was added and continued to '46. The '40s just had a pinstripe on the tank to highlight the emblem. Tanks have the fuel shut off rod on them and use a cateye dash setup. The cylinders on the bike you are looking at should appear to be larger than the heads (it does have aluminum heads right?) and the fins appear large all the way down. The cylinder should have the number 120-39 and 120-391 cast into them. Carb should be M-51. If the cylinders and heads are not correct then you end up with a standard WL with WLD engine numbers and the collector value drops immediately. All other parts are standard WL.
        Robbie

Comment

RUB, Thanks a lot for your time, looks as if I need to do some research before buying something I know so little about. I am willing to learn but not at $10K a lesson..... Lloyd

Comment

Working...
          X