Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar for 45 flathead

Hello sidecar experts...

I am thinking about attaching a sidecar tomy 45 flathead (1948)
    However, most of the sidecars offered are for big twins only.
    There are some goulding replica sidecars around (boats shape bodies with a little door on the right side) that in my opinion only fit on early models in regard of their design.

Who is familiar with models offered for 45 models ?
    What is the difference on the frames between 45 s and big twins ?
    Do big twin models maybe fit on a 45 as well ??
    Who can provide detailed information/drawings/specifications that show exactly which parts are needed and how the sidecar is attached to the bike ?
    Thanks for feedback

Oliver

It's my understanding that only the Goulding sidecar was offered for the 45 and the boat-like shape you describe was it. The Goulding was always touted as lighter than stock. I bought a '47 LE from a man who had it jury rigged to a '51 WL. He took his 3 kids for rides in it. When I bought it, the friend who helped me get it in the truck made the comment that "you probably saved the lives of those 3 kids by buying that sidecar."

Comment

Yes, the Goulding is correct. And it is much, much lighter than the Big Twin Sidecar.
      Fiskis

Comment

Eric,

are thre any pics of your sidecar and mounting to the 45 available ?

Comment

With a little simple fabrication an LE sidehack can be hooked to a WL. The 45 will not handle the LE sidecar with the ease an FL will but if you don't expect to run highway speeds for extended periods it will do the job. At speeds under 30 mph the little WL will probably shake her head so you'll have to screw the damper down for around town running. I've had a lot of fun playing with mine. Attached are some pictures of the bike and sidehack brackets( if I can do this right ).

Comment

So forget the pictures. This forum thing keeps telling me the file is to big. I could e-mail them directly to you if you are interested.

Comment

Maybe this time.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like I'll have to post one pic at a time.
                Attached Files

Comment

Again.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jack
                    Question about the sidecar in the pic, is the sidecar body steel?
                    looks to be clean of any rivets in the body also what modifications were done to mate it to the 45.
                    I assume something to the mounting hardware?
                    Thanks

Comment

Brackets.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Front mounts.
                        Attached Files

Comment

More front mounts.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The sidecar box is steel. Really nicely done. Looks factory. I've been told it is a "speedster"" body but I don't know sidecars very well. I bought the chasis without any sheet metal. The fender was in my grandfather's shop forever, so I had that. Bought the box from an area farmer who was retiring and moving to town. He had had it in his barn for as long as he could remember but he could not remember what it came off of.

Comment

Jack, I can assure you the guy I got my LE from didn't do anything even close to the job you did. Very nice work. It looks well thought out and clean. . . . . And safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X