1931 VC Commercial Delivery SideCar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 VC Commercial Delivery SideCar

Can anyone post some pictures of a 30's Commercial SideCar delivery package Truck? My 1931 Harley Davidson VC was a Commercial Delivery and I would like to see some information concerning the Sidecar chassis used for that model. Was it the same as a SideCar, only with a Box Delivery unit mounted?

Was the Delivery Box fabricated or was there a factory Box in the 30's - Any Help would be appreciated

David

I have not seen a 30:ies commercial frame, only a similar, but earlier ca 1928 Package Truck frame. It was heavier than the passenger frame, and maybe a little wider.

Also in the 1932 parts book you have frame 6001-30A which is model "M" and 6003-30A which is model MW with 56"tread, i.e. a wider frame. Corresponding parts numbers for passenger frames are the same without "A". According to "The Legend Begins", package trucks were still offered in 1956 order blank, maybe later.

In that book you find a picture of a '35 Package Truck. I think the bodies were very similar through the years. In the Enthusiast Aug. 1932, available as reprint, you find a picture of a 1933 MXP tall box.
    Happy sidecaring
    Fiskis

Comment

I know in the 40s the package truck frame was wider than the sidecar frame.

OK it's not 1931, but I just saw this cool "pickup box" package truck on eBay. The neat thing about it is the Harley package truck tag. First I've seen ... Perry

Comment

I have a '40 MW package truck frame that I am building up similar to the pick-up type Perry listed. The MW is a wide frame so has the wider wheelbase. Some say the wider frame was designed to better match the ruts left by model T's in the dirt roads of the time. The M is a standard width frame, however the spring perches are in a different place than the normal sidecar allowing a wider storage area. The frames were available with or without a body and many custom bodies were built over the years. The springs and body mounts differ from passenger sidecars as well. Also body check straps and overload springs. Most package truck fenders mount on the body and move with it as opposed to the rigid fender mounting on sidecars due to the width of the box. Lots of pictures exist of '20's and '30's package trucks. Most of the Harley History books show at least a few! Robbie

Comment

David,

ebay item 180204536051 might be similar ?

Regards,

Martin

Comment

In the Enthusiast Aug. 1928 available as reprint, there are a lot of package trucks, and on last page sidecar jokes.

Anyone want a bare left hand sidecar frame from South Africa. 1940:ies type. Rough and cheap!
            Fiskis

Comment

The Goulding Album (sidecars)

A The Goulding Album (sidecars) just came up on eBay. ...bill
              http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...m=150207426649

Comment

Package body

I just got several pictures of package bodies from Bruce Linsday and would be glad to send you copies. duda@rduda.com

Comment

Working...
                X