Harley Servi-car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Servi-car

Hi, My name is Dick Erickson, I'm in the process of restoring a 1949 Harley Servi-car for a friend of mine, I've done 2 others to date. I started to look over the generator from my 49 project. It's quite a bit different (older?) from any of the others that I have worked on. Assuming it's correct at all, I noticed that there are 2 tin covers on both ends of the gen body, and both of these have been cut out, I assume for venting purposes, The "vents" look to me like a do-it-yourself modification. Look at the pic and tell me what you think? Is it a correct generator, and are the cutout on the covers correct

Dick old-dude@comcast.net
    Attached Files

That's a fan cooled generator. Used on police bikes with radios. What's the model number stamped into it? Looks to say 58R which would be a decade too new for a 49. Having the vents hacked like that is common. I'm not sure if there was a shop dope that suggested this or if the factory starting doing it. Most fan cooleds that I have seen have shrouds like that. Here's a photo of a 58R I have kicking around ... Perry
    Attached Files

Comment

45 Generator question

Perry,

Thanks for your reply and picture. After seeing the picture of your generator I have to believe that the cuts on the generator covers have to be a HD modification or HD field modification otherwise how could our generators look so identical? My generator is a 58R.

Thanks again

Dick

Comment

Working...
      X