vl clutch adj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vl clutch adj

can someone tell me what the clutch adj is for the clutch pack i have it on the bench out of the drum there are no manuals that i know of with this info the rider handbook tells you to bring it to the dealer for this repair? it;s a 1931 vl i;m just looking for a base adj i can make final adj on the bike if need be thanks .
    pat

VL clutch

Pat, call me, 802-888-7689. RD

I have adjusted my clutch and still can not keep the gears from grinding when downshifting and sometimes shifting up from 2-3rd gear. I have a 36 VLH and rebuilt the trans last year so the trans is good and the clutch is all good. Anyone have any suggestion.
    I know its not meant to downshift but several people have told me their trans does not grind.

Comment

When reassembling the clutch pack I put the screws one turn through the clutch spring guide collars. You can always tighten them later on the bike as per the Owners Handbook if the clutch slips.

After installation, turn down the adjusting nut on the pull rod until the clutch release arm has about one eighth inch free movement left. That is, minimum free play without the tripod dragging and starting to disengage the clutch.

Clutches drag if the splines in the clutch drum are worn by the plates chattering. Also if the dogs on the clutch plates are worn, so file off the burrs and square them up on overhaul.

The 2500-19 thrust washer is also important, which fits behind the clutch bearing. These were originally 0.080-0.120" thick in 0.006" increments. They are used to set clutch end float on the mainshaft to about 0.005". If too thin you have extra end-float and maybe clutch wobble. If too thick the clutch drum binds and you get shifting problems.

Comment

Working...
      X