Top end lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top end lube

What are folks using for gas (lead) additives? Thanks for yall's time.

Miker

marvel mystery oil here

Comment

What ratio of mix do you use, oz/gal? Thanks for your time!

Miker

Comment

i never really measured it exactly ,but it probably works out to 1/2 ounce per gallon or so , i kinda just dump it in there .i have a friend who rides a 38 ulh chopper and he uses no top end lube .on a ride we were on last weekend his front exhaust valve (we think)finally gave it up, he insists that marvel would not have helped.i always use it (every fill up) and no problems yet . thoughts anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by cheifrider
          i never really measured it exactly ,but it probably works out to 1/2 ounce per gallon or so , i kinda just dump it in there .i have a friend who rides a 38 ulh chopper and he uses no top end lube .on a ride we were on last weekend his front exhaust valve (we think)finally gave it up, he insists that marvel would not have helped.i always use it (every fill up) and no problems yet . thoughts anyone?
          MMO in our 61 Servi-car, A oz or less per. gal. Years and years of doing so and no trouble. Lloyd

Comment

Originally posted by cheifrider
            thoughts anyone?
            A couple.

Although lead helped prevent valve seat recession in some motors that's not the reason it was originally added to gasoline. It's purpose was to raise the octane rating.

Flatheads tend to have exhaust valve and seat problems.

Marvel doesn't currently make any claims for valve seat lubrication.
            http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/main...icPath=6,2,1,1

Using Marvel according to directions shouldn't hurt anything and makes your exhaust smell better.

Comment

Top End Lube

Kojack I just had to add this since you brought up the nice smelling exhaust. I,ve a friend that uses Castor Bean oil and swears by it. We make him ride in the rear because after you burn that stuff it smells somewhere between sardines and beans.

With 1oz mmo per gl. and Klotz sythetic in the engine, my exhaust smells good enough that my wife thought I'd gotten a new after shave. Just wish the bike ran as great as it smells. Chris

Comment

I too have always used MMO as mentiond above, alittle in each tank just lookin in the tank and filling up with fresh hightest after it. I'm known for adding quite a bit of a concoction at times with Real lead additive also. I've never to date had any problems going on 25yrs of riding Indian Chiefs to my Panhead collection. Something is better then nothing and yes it does smell different. I also run the Linkert a little rich as I'm not a city rider anyway....Plugs look good, tail pipe is usually a bit gray/black though. No complaints here just don't ride behind me. Keep riding em, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

BLENDZALL #460 "Green Label" 2-Cycle Racing Castor is all I use in my old bikes, caster oil has a extremly high boiling point and actually seeks hot areas, my 47 UL is bored .070 over and well all know flattys run hot to begin with, and I ride the snot out of mine and never had an issue. I first started using it when my old 98" shovel had a stuck rear exhaust valve , so stuck I had to pound it out with a hammer!

Comment

Working...
                  X