No announcement yet.

Need help firing up my 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I found the source of the leak. I remvoed the manifold and was able to get a better test around the nipple and discovered the leak.

So I guess I'm hosed.

Any suggestions besides tearing down the bike and having work done to the jug?

Comment

Let first say that I've never work on a bike like this one, but have an observation.

The bike in question has gas in the carb, but is not drawing it into the cylinders. This suggests some other possible options.

Have you checked that both sparkplugs are dry? Have you measured the quantity of gas in the float bowl? Perhaps something is holding the float so high that you have very little gas from which to draw.

Perhaps the problem is something very basic, and might be easily remedied before going on to the tougher things.

But, like I mentioned, I'm no expert on old bikes. But I have fixed more than my share of old tractors and other farm equipment. (Thus the EIEIO in my signature.) The basics are the same.

I've been embarassed plenty of times when someone pointed out that I'd overlooked a simple solution. I hate when that happens...:-)

Comment

rat, in cottens manifold testing procedures in the virtual indian link, i think he describes the procedure for fixing the nipple to head leak you are describing.had to do with a funky looking tool he had for re- riviting the nipple back in .i didnt have to go that far with my u model so i cant offer any info .believe me , i can feel your frustration from here, i was jerking around with my 41 for months before i got it through my thick head to do it by the numbers as cotten suggests. good luck,tom

Comment

Unfortunately the bike is completely assembled, so any repair will be extensive and problematic. The motor had been rebuilt. I guess the builder never tested the nipples. With the builder 5 ours away, getting the bike to him is a pain.

I could pull the front cylinder and have it sent off for repair. But then I would have to reassemble everything. Somehting I can do, but don;t want to do. Or I might trailer it up to him and have it taken care of.

Come to think of it, would pulling the motor be easier? That way I get it back 100% assembled.

Comment

im wondering if it cant be done with the motor in the bike ,dont know tho, have to ask cotten on that one

Comment

Anything's possible, but it ain't always fun.

Nipple replacements are never fun, even on the bench, much less in the chassis.

....Cotten

Comment

What is the process to replace the nipple? Not that I would attempt it, but I would like to get an idea as to what is involved.

And should the builder have pressure tested the cylinder before assembly? The guy who built the motor is very good but perhaps human and overlooked it. Or is it something that is often overlooked?

Comment

The basics of nipple replacement are discussed at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html,
                  but everyone is at the mercy of their own resources, patience, and powers of observation.

Once again I must assert that Liberty does not offer this service at large, as only established accounts can be honored as our re-organization progresses. Anyone seeking the foundation for a career in this industry should contact me,.... and then a shrink.

....Cotten

Comment

So it is definitely something that needs to be done with the cylinder removed. Yikes!

Looks like the bike will be laid up for awhile. Dare I ask, are there any shortcuts or on-bike repairs?

Comment

I have done it en chassis more times than I care to remember, so it is possible ; But those times that come to mind are those attempts that failed.

As I posted, you are "at the mercy of (your) own resources, patience, and powers of observation ".

Take your time.
                      Take no shortcuts.

....Cotten

Comment

Since I won't be doing the work, I guess removing the motor and sending it off to the builder is the best approach.

This really stinks. I know it all part of the hobby and if I wanted "easy" I'd be riding a 2007 Harley. But having to have work redone that was supposed to be done right the first time is extremely frustrating.

Comment

How bad is the leak? Is the nipple loose in the cylinder? If the nipple is secure and you are just getting some bubbles around the rivet or sealing surface between the nipple and cylinder, it would not be the cause of your starting problem. You can easily cure a minor leak with some goo, whether it be penetrating loctite,gasket sealer or silicone. The pressurized leak test is a great tool in the search for the absolute seal, but keep in mind your intake system operates with vacuum not pressure. There are hundreds of great running machines out there on the road that would not pass the pressure test. Keep up your efforts to figure out your starting problem and then deal with the leak if you find you are having trouble with fine tuning or a lean condition at that cylinder.

Comment

I found the source of the hard/non starting problem!!!!!

I disassembled the carb and the float was jammed all the way down, but the needle valve was blocking any gas flow. I think I know what happended. Let's just say "user error".

So no gas, no start!

Carb is all back together and come Saturday I will see if it fires up.

I'm going to overlook the nipple leak for now. Once I get it running and everything checks out okay (tranny, rear, brakes) then I might opt to fix the nipple. It would be a real pain if I laid the bike up for the nipple, only to find out the tranny needed attention later. If there are two (or three) birds to kill, I'll do them all at once.

Comment

As always, I must preach zero tolerance for any and all vacuum leaks.

Let's hope you don't find out why.

....Cotten

Comment

AMEN to that Cotten. Paps

Comment

Working...
                                X