transmission oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission oil change

The original WL 45 manual recommends the use of 50 engine oil in the transmission, too.
    I am wondering if there is a modern alternative for the transmission ?

The manual does not say anything about a transmission oil change and I can not find a drain plug on my transmission.

Any recommendations ?
    Were is the plug?

Thanks

Oliver

45 trannies have no drain plug. The oil needs to be syphoned out. Many parts suppliers sell an economical system for this. Paps

Comment

A turkey baster with a bit of plastic tubing on the end gets the job done

King

Comment

I use some silly expensive stuff in my lump called "red line heavy shockproof gear oil". It's red in color. Full synth. Sticks/clings like the buh*****. It may be a little over kill. The red color helps me to determine what is leaking -and from where.

A rare earth magnet epoxyed into case may be a good idea? Or can you drill and tap a drain plug? Why didn't HD do this? What was the thought process? anyone? How do you flush the case? Empty it and whipe it out?

Comment

I like your color idea ! There isn't any areas near the bottom of the case, which are strong enough or thick enough, where a drain could safely be added that would allow access for lube change. A new opening would only weaken the case IMO. Debre and dirt gets trapped in the numerous pockets located throughout the case anyhow, so a drain opening, if feazable, would do very little in removing foreign materials. Syphoning is pretty much ones only recourse it seems. Paps

Comment

Syphoning tranny oil

If you have access to a vacuum pump you can use it along with a glass gallon jug to draw oil out of trannies, oil tanks etc. by running a tube from the sump you're drawing from to the jug and a tube from the pump to the jug. With the pump running plug the opening on the jug with a rag to allow the pump to draw a light vacuum on the jug. As the pressure goes negitive in the jug the oil will rise up the tube from the sump and run into the jug until the sump is empty.

Comment

Working...
            X