45" Springer Front End Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45" Springer Front End Question??

I'm looking for a front end for my 45" Solo project from hell, and may have to resort to piecing one together. My question is, how can I distinguish a Solo front and rear leg from a Servicar front & rear leg when they are apart? It's pretty obvious when they are together, the Solo rockers are on the inside, and the Servicar uses the Big Twin outside rockers, but I'm not sure what to look for when the front end is apart. Are the Solo legs wider to accomodate the rockers being on the inside? Any casting numbers, etc. that would distinguish one from the other? Another thought: I own a Servicar, if someone with a Solo would be so kind as to measure the distance between the legs at the axle, I could compare it to my Servi to see if there is any difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The casting numbers and width are identical. The only difference is the solo legs have a 7/16 inch hole for the rocker studs and the servi-car has 1/2 inch. Carry a stud or bolt around with you to check the swap meet stuff. Lots of solo forks have been drilled to accept big twin rockers. it is possible to sleeve or weld/re-drill to fix them, just as you would one with elongated holes. Robbie

Comment

Hogluvr,
      What year solo are you working on?

Comment

Good question. I've started with a 1940 frame, so unless it becomes a Frankenstein bike, it will stay a 1940. So far I've picked up a partially-complete 1940 transmission, a set of tanks, and a 1947 WL motor. I hope somewhere down the road to trade off the cases for a set of 1940 cases. And now I'm concentrating on a front end. Tried to find one complete but every one I've seen lately has gone for crazy money, so I may end up piecing one together. This is a project for down the road sometime, so I've got plenty of time to look for pieces-parts, just thought I'd concentrate on the big things first.

Comment

A good quality aftermarket set complete can be had for just over a grand. I'm happy with the fmc one I picked up. Paps

Comment

I've heard good things about the fmc repops, I may go that route as a last resort. I may have found a complete setup, I'm talking to someone as we speak. I'll keep you posted...

Comment

Working...
            X