Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing sleeves in ULH cylinders

Good morning
    These ULH cylinders are 0.080'' oversized and I read that 0.080'' over is actually 0.095'' over sized as the OEM bore was 3 27/64' not 3 7/16'' and 0.080'' is added to 3 7/16'' so this means the cylinders are already 0.0156'' over sized + 0.004'' for piston clearance makes it 0.099'' over. This must be acceptable as the 0.080'' pistons are available. In my opinion this is cause for concern as the book states anything past 0.070'' the cylinders should not be used.
    I know LA Sleeve in California will sleeve these cylinders but the next issue are the deep valve seats. These seat pockets are pounded in so far I had to cut 0.050'' off of the tappet lock nuts and dress the faces to create enough play for valve adjustment. Does anyone know who can cut the seat pockets and install new valve seats to save these old cylinders. I've read that aftermarket cylinders are poor quality and sometimes do not even fit properly.
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::;;;;;;;;

The first inspection, Pete,..

Would be to determine how much cylinder you have left over each base stud:

THINBORE.jpg
    (Indian shown, but HD distort far, far more because of their long spigots.)

Personally, I always avoided sleeves if at all possible:

Perfdcyl Indian.jpg
    PERFDCYL.jpg
    (Not sleeved, but bored to daylight...)

Large overbores (and even sleeved bores) distort dramatically from fastener stress, and most of the legends of overheating or fragging could have been avoided by honing the cylinders while torqued to stress plates.

The problem with seat inserts in flattys is that most modern steels shrink at flatty temperatures.
    Good luck finding simple cast iron inserts of yesteryear.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2024, 10:43 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten
      I have the cylinders installed heads are on valves are set and the engine is together ready for pick up. I have addressed these issues with the owner and he isn't planning to ride hard or far it will just be something to ride up town and show off from time to time. I have a call into LA Sleeve and will post if they install seats.
      Thanks again
      Pete:::::::::::;;;;;;;;
      Last edited by Pete Engelman; 09-16-2024, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
        ... he isn't planning to ride hard or far...
        I've heard that before, Pete.

Even if he doesn't ride it at all, ever, what about the next owner?

This is where nostalgia goes to die.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

I think he will ride it. I asked him to ride it easy. He seems eager to resurrect this old bike. I just hope a cylinder doesn't fail on him. My friend had a cylinder on a ULH blow up on him and was nearly hit in the leg with a bunch of shrapnel.
          I know it seems that way, I know of many guys with Shovels (the newest antiques) tucked away in their shops with junk piled on them. All they need is a little attention and some elbow grease and they could again enjoy these old bikes but they would rather put their key fob in their pocket and ride the new machines. I don't get it.
          I just heard back from LA Sleeves. They can also install new cast iron valve seats.
          Thanks again Cotten
          Pete:::::::::;;;;;

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
            ..,.,I just heard back from LA Sleeves. They can also install new cast iron valve seats....,
            That's great news for the flatty world, Pete!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

I guess you already goggled "new" harley big twin flatty cylinders. Because there they are. Cheaper and more safer than sleeves and valve seats. Just say'in.
              DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks RichO
                I've investigated new ones on the internet and found a set with valves, psitons and rings for $3880.00 USD then others for about $2000.00 without valves but what I am afraid of are all the horror stories that come along with the aftermarket cylinders not fitting properly and poor quality. I found out how much junk is out there already such as shafts, rod sets, crank pin rollers etc. LA Sleeves quoted about $1700.00 for sleeves, guides, valves, 3 angle grind and pistons honed to fit that you must provide. I also considered what Cotten talked about with sleeving so I will leave it up to the owner of the engine to decide.
                Pete::::::::;;;;;;

Comment

Working...
                X