Harley Davidson WLC brake switch faulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Davidson WLC brake switch faulty

Dear colleagues, I would like to share an issue I got this weekend with my WLC and would like to know if you have a similar experience. My motorcycle was running fine until I stopped in a gas station for refilling with petrol. When I was about to start it, I noticed that I got no electric power at all after turning my bikes ignition key. At first I thought it was a blown fuse that I have installed on the bike, but the fuse was intact. I noticed that the battery (6V) was and is good so I did some troubleshooting with the help of a friend. We found out that the brake switch was short circuiting, thus causing the lack of power from the battery. After eliminating or disconnecting the brake sensor switch the bike was ok.
    I am a bit troubled on how this could happen in a so simple circuit switch to cause such a problem. My bikes brake switch is aftermarket, it would you have any similar experience and suggestions on how to avoid these issues to happen again? Any good source to get a quality switch? Thank you! Ed
    Attached Files

Fuse on + or - ?..Size of fuse ? A total short should have blown the fuse or burned the wire feeding the switch.

Comment

I am not an electrician, so I could be way off base on this. The battery is probably old and can not keep up with the amp draw, doesn't have enough amps to blow the fuse, pulling it down. Try having the battery load tested.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
        Fuse on + or - ?..Size of fuse ? A total short should have blown the fuse or burned the wire feeding the switch.
        I use a 15A glass fuse and it works well. I got it blown in the past due to a short circuit but not this time. The thing is that with a total blackout (no lights, no nothing) but with a good battery (6;75 V at the time), by disconnecting the wires from the coil that feeds the stop light switch, everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
          I am not an electrician, so I could be way off base on this. The battery is probably old and can not keep up with the amp draw, doesn't have enough amps to blow the fuse, pulling it down. Try having the battery load tested.
          The battery is new, I mean, less than 6 months and considering the little I ride, it should be fine. I know that these stop light switches are famous to cause issues, get a short circuit due to humidity, and dirt. But the symptom seems to be weird for me, but I am not an expert to judge,

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
            It might be the case that the battery is faulty…… I will have it replaced with my spare battery and test it properly…. I like your idea and it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
            X