VL Horn Mounting Bracket Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Horn Mounting Bracket Mystery

The horn assembly was missing from my 1932 V when I purchased it so I started researching horns.

A friend's 1931 has a Remy style horn with a sunburst style horn cover. It has a dog bone shaped one piece mounting plate attached to the back of the horn using a large rivet and washer. The plate attaches to the toolbox mounting straps with 4 screws.

From what I've read there were at least two different style mounting brackets used on the 1930 to 1936 VL models. The 1930 models featured dual headlights, a Klaxon horn and a round toolbox, the same as a 1929 JD. The 1931 and later models featured the later teardrop shaped toolbox, single headlight and a Remy horn with a sunburst horn cover.

Reproduction horn mounting kits are available that are marked for 1929 and later, part number 4861-30 that use the multiple mounting plates, attached by screws, similar to those used on a JD with a Klaxon horn.

Currently there's a VL horn, supposedly removed from a 1932, listed for auction on eBay, with the one piece riveted horn mount.

On what years were the one piece horn mounts used?

I don't think the one piece horn mount was used on any of the V series but I've been wrong before.

Comment

My 1936 mounting is a one year only so is not applicable to your 1932 needs. Steve Slocombe's book is a must for VL owners but I'm sure he will chime in here with the correct answer. Good Luck, Smitty

Comment

Here are a few pictures from my 32V, hope this helps.

Lippy

32V horn 1.jpg 32V.jpg 32V horn backside.jpg

Comment

Thank you Peter, Smitty and Lippy for your comments and photos. It's strange that the single mounting plate bolt holes line up perfectly to the VL tool box strap holes. Perhaps they were early aftermarket horns. Joe, at Harbor Vintage, thinks they might be modified automobile horns. Attached below is a photo of a friend's 1931 VL with the single mounting plate horn.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JC Hixon; 08-31-2024, 11:36 AM.

Comment

'31 thru '34 definitely use the same mounts as per Lippy's pic.

Comment

The single plate mounting is for the military WLA/WLC models, which also used the Remy 16 horn with the sunburst face. The early Hummers also used the same horn with a single mounting bracket. Both can be adapted for the VL by cutting off the brackets and taking out rear spacers. Lippy shows the 1931-34 horn mounting but with one curved spacer on the wrong side. This might be to hold the horn off the toolbox, because it usually comes very close at the rear. The same horn was used on early 1930s cars which is why you see AMCA members at Hershey, but they are pretty well mined-out now.

Comment

Thank you Peter & Steve. This is a little off topic but it looks like the wiring diagram in the 1930 & 31 Riders Handbook shows the black wire going to the left terminal and the red wire to the right terminal of the horn if viewing it mounted, from behind the toolbox, is that correct?

Comment

I don't know for sure but this one ('31) almost looks like black is going to the right.

31 VL Wiring.jpg

Comment

Dear Peter, sitting on the saddle I would say that wiring diagram shows the red wire going to the right horn terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                      Dear Peter, sitting on the saddle I would say that wiring diagram shows the red wire going to the right horn terminal.
                      Correct you are when sitting on the saddle Steve. I was looking at it from the side, as per the tail light, and it seems to show the black wire terminating nearer to the viewer.
                      What is interesting is that it appears the terminals are not side by side like most horns appear to be. My '31 is like that, they're almost 90 degrees apart.

Comment

Dear Peter, we're down in the underbrush here. I've just checked my two '35s and one has the red horn wire on the left and one on the right, both working. With ambiguity in the wiring diagram I don't think we risk judging point deductions. But your horn with the widely spread terminals might be later or off another vehicle.

Comment

But your horn with the widely spread terminals might be later or off another vehicle.
                          I did wonder about that Steve given that the bike had been in an accident, but take a look at the attached pic. If you zoom in it almost looks like the left side terminal is up near the mounting bracket, or something like 90 degrees away from the other one. I've got another pic somewhere of another bike that suggests the same. Pic of mine attached as well.

hdcage313.jpeg

VL Horn.jpg
                          Last edited by Peter Cooke; 09-04-2024, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Dear Peter, that '31 VL from the Harley museum is a bought-in restoration so doesn't help us. Here are the horn connections on my two '35s. They are both CHP bikes so still have the front tool box.

35horn02.JPG 35horn01.JPG

Comment

that '31 VL from the Harley museum is a bought-in restoration so doesn't help us.
                              Ah, Thanks Steve, I didn't know that. I thought it was pulled from the production line. We live and we learn.
                              I did get the following from the owner of a pretty much untouched '31VL re the wire colors.
                              Looks like the wire in the right side (as you are sitting on the bike) is black and has red tracers in the black weaving while the one on the left is all black. Also, the black with red tracers wire is heavier. Looks like 14-16 gage while the black wire is 16-18 gage. I assume the black/red wire is power while the all black is the grounding wire to the horn button.

Comment

Working...
                              X