Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1932 V- How Many Clutch Plates Is It Supposed To Have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 V- How Many Clutch Plates Is It Supposed To Have?

I'm preparing a '32 V for a run this weekend and have been having trouble getting the clutch rocker to stay in the disengaged position without tightening the friction nut down so much that it's difficult to move the clutch rocker.

I tried setting the 6 adjusting screws with one thread showing on the back side of the clutch spring retaining plates but the screws were so tight that I had to use a screwdriver bit on a ratchet wrench to turn them. I tried backing them out until the clutch started working correctly but then 1 of the 6 screws fell out of one of the retaining plates. The manual says not to tighten them more than required to keep the clutch from slipping when kick starting the engine.

With the screws backed out until they start falling out the clutch doesn't slip when kicking the engine over. Now I'm wondering if there are too many plates in the clutch pack. How many plates are there supposed to be in a '32 V?.

I disassembled the clutch and discovered the plates weren't the problem. I tried to edit the title of this post but it won't allow it. Two of the clutch springs measure 1 3/8" long and the other 7 measure 1 9/16" long. I assume the shorter springs are the correct length since I can't back off the adjusting screws enough to adjust the clutch correctly.

If anyone knows the correct length for VL clutch springs I'm all ears.
    Last edited by JC Hixon; 08-20-2024, 09:41 PM.

Johnny Sells' book says the 2511-30 clutch springs are 1 5/8" long with an outside diameter of 21/32" and wire thickness of 0.113" with five coils per inch. There are three friction plates and two steel plates in the VL clutch.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'm going to see if I can find the correct springs. The ones I have are of various lengths and the 2 shortest springs appear to be made from larger diameter spring stock. The previous owner must have mixed up the springs with those from another bike.

Comment

I found a set of springs at a local bike shop that's been in business for over 50 years. They measure 1 3/8" long which is quite a bit shorter than the springs everyone is selling for VLs. I cleaned all of the clutch discs in solvent and filed the burrs off of the drive tabs of each friction disc so there were no sharp edges to bind in the clutch basket. The clutch is adjusted now to where the clutch rocker will stay disengaged without having to tighten the friction nut excessively. The clutch releases completely and doesn't drag. I can kick the engine over without the clutch slipping. If they end up slipping later I can always install a longer set of springs. Thank you for the advice Steve! I plan on buying one of your books that covers the 1932 models.

Comment

Working...
        X