Leaky gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky gearbox

I am sorry , I don't find similar topic.My question is how much oil does the gearbox lose per 100 miles in the VL?
    My gearbox lost approximately 200 milliliters after riding 60 miles.Is it normal?

Dear Jarek, that is not normal. First check the box is not over filled, it is filled to the bottom of the filler neck and not higher. Then check the oil, original was straight 50 weight but I use EP 80/90. Multigrade oils such as 20/50 will be too thin. Now see where the oil is coming from. It can leak around the main gear bushing, especially when on the side stand. Or at the kicker end round the small ball bearing, or around the ball bearing holder and out of the side cover.

Comment

The right side of the gearbox is ok.It looks like leak is from the main gear bushing,(at least from the gear side ).
      Today I want to drive a few kilometers and measure exactly how much oil is lost.I use EP 80/90.
      I bought another two bottles of oil and maybe I should use a thicker one.

Comment

I wanted to edit, but I have to write a new post
        Last edited by Jarek; Today, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I may have found the leak. I couldn't find a picture of the gearbox from the bottom in Steve's book, but I suspect that the long casting is the breather. It's a bit damaged, but it's dripping from there. What do you think ? IMG_3300.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Jarek View Post
            I may have found the leak. I couldn't find a picture of the gearbox from the bottom in Steve's book, but I suspect that the long casting is the breather. It's a bit damaged, but it's dripping from there. What do you think ? IMG_3300.jpeg
            That is a weep hole and is supposed to leak. It drains away the oil that has all ready gotten by the high gear seal.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
            X