Harley VL sealed wheel bearing trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley VL sealed wheel bearing trouble

I bought these sealed cartridges for my VL hubs from Vtwin after reading a few success stories and doing a bit of research. The bearing collar does not protrude from the hub when completely assembled thus not allowing the wheel to turn. I tried both units (one was black and the other was bare metal) and neither one is sticking past the nut when fully tightened. I don’t understand how this can be sold if it doesn’t work whatsoever, these were not cheap. I attached photos of both bearings in the hub sitting just below flush when completed when they should be proud at least 1/32 to enable the wheel to turn.

Any advice would be appreciated I can’t return these.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Justin Monti
    AMCA #43973

Can you make a little shim to get the protrusion you need?

Comment

Originally posted by tgarcia View Post
      Can you make a little shim to get the protrusion you need?
      I would have to. However I’m not a machinist and have no idea where I would get this made in my area. I have the 32 and later long spline hubs I wonder why more people are not reporting this issue.
      Justin Monti
      AMCA #43973

Comment

Fair enough,if you give the inside diameter, outside diameter,and length you need ill spin you out a couple and send them to you if you want

Comment

Fair enough,if you give the inside diameter, outside diameter,and length you need ill spin you out a couple and send them to you if you want
          I would appreciate that so much and gladly pay you for your time. I have some good measuring tools I’ll take a few measurements and message you.

Thank you.
          This is what makes the AMCA great people who are willing to help each other.
          Justin Monti
          AMCA #43973

Comment

I took the measurements with a micrometer but realized at the end that I must somehow mill down the threaded cover by 1/16 to make this work. Adding a spacer will not help.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Justin Monti
            AMCA #43973

Comment

Ok I think I see what you have going on there.the large threaded nut sets a preload and the spacer that's on it sets the wheel space correct? That would be easy enough to spin that much off the large nut if that's what you want to do. Would do that for you too if it will get you up and running.

Comment

Ok I think I see what you have going on there.the large threaded nut sets a preload and the spacer that's on it sets the wheel space correct? That would be easy enough to spin that much off the large nut if that's what you want to do. Would do that for you too if it will get you up and running.
                Pretty much the bearing is a complete unit that drops in
                I had to modify my original hub to use these there is a large washer that must be pressed out. Yes I would need the nut machined down 1/16.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Justin Monti
                AMCA #43973

Comment

Even in Vtwins own instruction photo you can see the bearing sits below the cover. They are selling a product that doesn’t work . The second picture is how it should look. That is a bearing made by Ray bartomeli which I just discovered and will be ordering for next time.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  Justin Monti
                  AMCA #43973

Comment

What about using a washer, with a slightly smaller OD, in between the axle spacer and your bearing collar. Those parts don't turn anyway so that may work for you.

Comment

Don't forget to complain to V-Twin.

Comment

Sent you a pm Justin

Comment

typical v-twin (lack) of quality control.
                          I have installed these in 3 of my VL's.
                          the fix is simple, especially if you have a bare hub.
                          chuck the assembled hub in a lathe & turn down the locking end cap face deep & wide enough to allow the axle spacer to clear it.
                          the modification will be completely hidden by the axle spacer.

Comment

Working...
                          X