Rear Chain Oiler Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Chain Oiler Fitting

Hi, All ... after endless delays, my 54 Servi Car is back together and ready for break in and road test, EXCEPT ... the previous owner had shut down the rear chain oiler and (I think) put a small bolt where the "pipe" would normally attach to the Scavenger Pump. Somehow, I failed to mark that one screw or bolt, and that hole is currently blocked with a small cork I inserted when painting the scavenger pump.

Can I just leave it with the needle valve totally closed and nothing blocking that opening? Better yet, what size screw or small bolt can take the place of that rear chain oiler fitting, and is it standard or NPT?

I realize that oiler tube is available aftermarket, but this thing has a chain guard that nearly fully encloses the chain, so I'm not sure there'd even be a way to get the oiler tube oriented so it actually drips on the chain. I manually spray lube the rear chains on my Pan and Shovel, so no reason I can't do this one, too.

Thanks for any info!
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
    Hi, All ... after endless delays, my 54 Servi Car is back together and ready for break in and road test, EXCEPT ... the previous owner had shut down the rear chain oiler and (I think) put a small bolt where the "pipe" would normally attach to the Scavenger Pump. Somehow, I failed to mark that one screw or bolt, and that hole is currently blocked with a small cork I inserted when painting the scavenger pump.

Can I just leave it with the needle valve totally closed and nothing blocking that opening? Better yet, what size screw or small bolt can take the place of that rear chain oiler fitting, and is it standard or NPT?

I realize that oiler tube is available aftermarket, but this thing has a chain guard that nearly fully encloses the chain, so I'm not sure there'd even be a way to get the oiler tube oriented so it actually drips on the chain. I manually spray lube the rear chains on my Pan and Shovel, so no reason I can't do this one, too.

Thanks for any info!
    The oiler tube bolts to the transmission cover and drips on the chain right at the front sprocket. The hole is for a compression fitting and the best way to block it would be with a short piece of brake line with the fitting on it and the line welded shut so as not to damage the pump. Or put a cover off a solo bike on it without the oiler.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Robbie. The oiler tube and the cover sans oiler cost about the same, so it's a tossup, but I'd rather not spend on either right now. And without the oiler, I don't have the compression fitting. Are you saying that the oiler drips just behind the transmission sprocket? Try as I might, I can't find a closeup photo that shows how the oiler is routed, in case I decide to add it. I've seen a photo of it clipped behind the kicker spring stud, but not one that shows how/where it enters the rear chain guard.
      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Working...
      X