1940 ULH tappet/lifter block clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 ULH tappet/lifter block clearance

I'm rebuilding a 40 ULH. When I extracted the lifter blocks to replace the worn tappet rollers I checked the ID of the tappet guide and OD of the tappet. The clearance of all four is ~0.0027'' The book says 0.0005 '' to 0.001'' that seems awful tight.
    The clearance on a Shovel is 0.001'' - 0.002'' and the wear limit is 0.003'' I wonder if the clearances were over stringent back in 1940 as there is more lifter travel in a Shovel let alone a hot rod Shovel vs an old Flathead. The reason I ask is that I am having a tough time finding a set of tappets and may have to run these.
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::::;;;;;;

Hi Pete, Keep in mind that the tappets are the same as 45. There are some minor variations over the years mostly due to the holes drilled through the bodies but any can be drilled however you like.And they are available in oversizes.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone
      I just won an NOS set of tappets and guide blocks on EBay for $301.00 my rear exhaust guide block shoulder is broken off in 2 places and the front intake tappet looked a little beat up just above the roller front and back so I opted to buy this set. It will have proper clearances as well.
      Pete::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

The tappets and guides blocks I found on Ebay advertised as NOS turned out to be used so I'm back to square 1. Does anyone have a new tappet they could give me the OD measurement from so I can determine if I need OS tappets or if standard size will still work as these are worn.
        Thanks
        Pete::::::::::;;;;

Comment

Pete, all H-D tappets for any model from that era share body OD dimensions, so VL,UL, 45, Big Twin, K Model, etc are the same OD. checking several they appear to be .730.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone I saw some for sale stating standard at 0.735. They must be +005''
            Pete:::::::;;;;;;;;;

Comment

Working...
            X