VL Seat Post Bushing (not fitting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Seat Post Bushing (not fitting)

I had the frame on my 32V bead blasted and now I'm fixing it's problems. The most glaring one is that a new seat post bushing doesn't fit. It just drops right in the hole. Upon inspection of the bushing hole I see the remains of a real think steel liner. Was this a Harley doing or done somewhere in the past? Then for the heck of it, I checked the seat post bushing in my 35VL. It appears that there is a metal bushing/liner that may have gone in before the brass bushing is installed. Is the correct or am I just seeing the machining of the bushing hole that was done in the HD factory? I thought initially that I'd just buy some oversized brass or bronze and machine my own oversized, but now I'm unsure. Any input would be appreciated.

32V.png 32V liner.png 35VL.png

Thanks, Lippy
    Attached Files

45s were smaller diameter,ID & OD,is it a 45 bushing?

Comment

Thanks for the reply and your input, but I understand that 45 Harley’s used the same seat post bushing from 1929 to 1973. The VL’s used this same seat post bushing from 1930 to 1936. A new, resized bushing came out in 1936 for the 61 cu.in. Knucklehead and following Big Twins.

Comment

Working...
      X