1940 ULH cam journal to bushing clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 ULH cam journal to bushing clearance

I recently started to rebuild a 1940 ULH engine. This old engine has been well used (up) It's completely worn out. The cam bushings are worn but my book doesn't state what the allowable clearance from the cam journal to the cam bushing is. Can anyone tell me? Also this engine has a stepped crank pin and it is worn badly. The rollers are ~0.0022'' worn/squashed undersized from the 0.1875'' standard and the crank pin feels rippled on the underside. Can anyone tell me what the OD of a new crank pin would be so I can calculate if I need new rod races and what size rollers I may need. The sprocket rollers are well undersized as well and the race is pooched. I hope I can find 0/002'' or even 0.003'' rollers so I can just hone the race to prevent changing it.
    Thanks
    Pete::::::;;;;;;;;;

Pete,this is from 1940-1958 45" service manual.Same basic info for doing BT flattys
    They usually wear the face to the point of the pins trashing the cam shims before the bushing bore is too big.

img453.jpg

Comment

Thanks Duffy The average journal to bushing clearance is ~0.0025'' and the average end play is ~0.015''. The rear engine bushing is the worst and is worn to the point where the oil channel is nearly gone it hasn't touched the steak pin though but is still good on clearance.
      Thanks for the reply and spec page
      Pete:::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

This is the actual Big Twin sheet. They sent out updates regularly whenever a spec was changed, usually due to a component change such as pistons/rings/bearings, etc. This late '39 sheet would cover '40 production year models.
        1939 Engine specs 74 and 80 SV.jpg
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone. I will be replacing several.
          Pete::::::;;;;;;;

Comment

Working...
          X