Harley VL transmission sealed bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley VL transmission sealed bearing

My VL transmission leaks out all the oil introduced. Can anyone outline the procedure of installing a sealed bearing? Is this something I can do myself in the garage?
    Justin Monti
    AMCA #43973

Dear Montij, yes you can do it yourself and the procedure is in the back of my VL book. It is now usual to put sealed ball bearings at both ends of the mainshaft. Just two things to remember: at the main drive end you need to leave in the 2288-17 plate; and the smaller sealed bearing does not have the 50 thousandths offset of the original, so you need to find a suitable washer or you'll throw out the clutch adjustment. 90 weight gear oil to the bottom of the filler neck will help too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Dear Montij, yes you can do it yourself and the procedure is in the back of my VL book. It is now usual to put sealed ball bearings at both ends of the mainshaft. Just two things to remember: at the main drive end you need to leave in the 2288-17 plate; and the smaller sealed bearing does not have the 50 thousandths offset of the original, so you need to find a suitable washer or you'll throw out the clutch adjustment. 90 weight gear oil to the bottom of the filler neck will help too.
      Thank you again. I’ll look up the procedure in the book and make the attempt.
      Justin Monti
      AMCA #43973

Comment

Working...
      X