Swap meet find what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap meet find what is it?

Apologies for posting this here but I really can’t ascertain what this cylinder head is!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Justin Monti
    AMCA #43973

I'll go out on a limb and say it's the front head for a 1909 RELIANCE twin, made in New York. I'm going by motorcycle encyclopedias I have, which narrow down the manufacturers of side valve twins, with a spark plug in the intake valve plug (like later Indians), vertical cooling fins, and 4 head/cylinder bolt locations. Reading Standard also made a side valve twin in 1909 but noticeably different head casting with a spark plug on the intake side of the head. In my comparisons, the posted pics have more horizontal fins than the Reliance heads; so I'm still a bit dubious of my 'limb walking' on this. 1908-'09 were very early and rare for sidevalve twins so the field of contestants is quite limited. My only other theory is a later copy of an Indian Power-Plus head, being separate from the cylinder, which asks the question. . . Why? Thanks for posting the pictures, montij. It's fun to guess what it is; like the picture of an early motor BigLakeBob posted awhile back. These are the things that get people to research, and wonder about what they have come across in their memory banks, and obscure ancient literature. . . . Good for history, and the AMCA.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you so much for researching this. I guess it will remain a mystery for now! Thank you for the reply.
      Justin Monti
      AMCA #43973

Comment

It looks like AJS

3_1_0_14_3625_159361 2.jpg
        3_1_0_14_3625_159361.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jarek View Post
          Wow great photo! It does look a match?
          Justin Monti
          AMCA #43973

Comment