Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct installation of the Foot clutch lever - 1932 VL

Hey everyone,

I recently found it necessary to correct the installation of the foot clutch lever on the Sargent. The one he came with was not the correct one. It is supposed to stay in the disengaged position if the tension on the spring is strong enough. I know this because both the Panhead and WLC operate this way. I'm concerned that I may be missing some parts because it does not seem to stay disengaged with the nut tightened down. Any ideas on how tight the nut has to be to get the pedal to stay with the heel down?

Thanks,
    Loch

1932 is the first year with the helper spring on the clutch pedal, so I assume you don't have the 1930/31 version. This is the set up on my '35: The strong spring at the back has a washer each side and a double nut to retain the setup. It compresses the pedal against the friction disc so that you can adjust pedal feel. The parts book does not call for anything in between, but I've seen leather washers and I sometimes put in a lightly greased steering damper friction washer bored out from 5/16 to 3/8". In the country I'm OK with a loose 'suicide clutch' setup, but in town you would probably want the pedal to stay in position with your foot off.

IMG_3418.JPG
    Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 03-04-2024, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'm not in the country so having the clutch pedal remain where I put it is more than just a convenience. I can ride it as is but until I get more experience with it, and with the local traffic the way it is I would rather have function correctly. That said I do not have a disc between the friction disc (2427-20) and the pedal disc, or round part of the pedal. The spring arrangement on the inside of the sidebar I believe is correct, washers on either side of the spring, but only one tension adjustment nut.

Loch

IMG_7789.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

Were these springs made for production in 1932 for all VL? I have a 1936 without a spring.

It looks like with spring is more comfortable ​
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok,I read in your book that this was an exception in year 1936.

Comment

Dear Loch, looks like a second 0129 lock nut and maybe a friction washer will sort you out. For Jarek, yes it's one-year-only on the 1936 VL with those two star washers providing the friction. This gives a couple of inches, say 5 cm, extra clearance for the longer Police generator often fitted to 36VLs.

Comment

Working...
            X