speedometer drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer drive

Today I glued the drive using cold welding.
    This part wasn't old but it wasn't well made.
    Tomorrow I will know how it stuck together.
    And just as a recognition - is it possible to get only a body to drive?

IMG_2443.jpeg IMG_2447.jpeg

bodies are usually pretty easy to find but the problem is that the ring gear thrust face wears a groove in the pot metal housing allowing it to come closer to the pinion gear,with the steel pinion wiping out the pot metal ring gear.You can make a steel shim to cover the groove worn by the ring gear and the adjust to proper clearance by facing off the rg thrust face.If you hold the pinion you should be able to slightly rock the ring back and forth.If its tight it wont last.
    Tom

Comment

Jerry Greer's can sell you a new one:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...946&model_id=2
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Jarek, your *speedometer drive assembly(1-2), appears to be close to Scrap. There are cracks on the facing & even in the threads. Don't waste your time with glue, it will hold at best temporarily. If your fix holds & breaks down with your rigid on the bumpy roads, you will experience even more problems. Corbin parts are NOT inexpensive! We can't see the backside, because there is no picture of the backside, so you might want to get an estimate at a welding shop to heli~arc, but then you'll probably have to retap the threads. Otherwise, you'll have to take Tom's advise and look around to buy a decent used *speedometer drive assembly(1-2), or purchase new.
        Also, I believe there are 2. *speedometer drive assemblies, plus other components involved, because of tire sizes associated with a Police unit. Look over the *KiWi parts list to make sure you match your tire size if you buy used or new. And, I'd stay away from those cheap New Delhi parts on eBay~ their stuff is junk.

**If i recall, you said you bought a 1936 VL police unit in England? Is this your VL below Jarek?

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/281...-no-36vld4859/ ---> *1936 VLD Police. (Oct. 14-15 2023-Bonhams Auction). If so, congratulations, that is a very nice Porker VLD.

https://kiwiindian.com/collections/s...932-47-1952-53. ---> Kiwi parts list w/ police inscription.

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 01-28-2024, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I saw one recently on flea bay and I believe Jacob Junker may have on listed on Vintage Cycle Bay.
          Contact Terry Marsh he may be able to help you.

Comment

It looks like the New Delhi part. I did a welding test, it just melts. The drive gear is also junk.
            I'm going to buy a new one at Jerry Greer's. I wanted to glue it temporarily to finish the repair of the rear wheel.
            When I hit the axle, it broke in another place .
            If you don't know the motorcycle, repairing it step by step, something surprises you all the time.
            You don't have the right tool or part and in order to move forward, I make what I can on my own.
            The last similar situation was with the front wheel. I needed a 0.5 mm thicker washer.
            I found a similar material with a thickness of 3 mm and it looks like it will be fine.

Yes, I bought this motorcycle - thanks.
            What does Porker VLD mean - big pig ?

IMG_2451.jpeg IMG_2431.jpeg

Comment

Back in the late sixties the police over here were called pigs and since it's a Police bike they called it a Porker VLD
              DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                Jerry Greer's can sell you a new one:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...946&model_id=2

Hi Indian boys, be careful when giving advice for Harley Boy. I bought the drive from Jerry Greer's, because I thought the drive was the same as the Harley, but the Indian has a thinner axle.

IMG_2494.jpeg

Comment

...can you remove the Indian axle bushing (9/16") and replace it with the HD bushing from your broken speedo drive?
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I recently found that the speedometer drive on my 46 Chief was actually from a HD VL. (long story)

Terry Marsh put me right. I CAREFULLY pressed out my VL bushing and Terry accepted it as a core towards an original Indian bushing.
                    Which I then CAREFULLY pressed in.

Mr, Terry Marsh of Klamath Falls,Ore. (541)882-2613
                    marsh1915hd@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                    X