Help with leaky tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with leaky tank

My VL oil tank has an area that weeps oil. I had it at a repair shop and they said that the solder Harley used is a very low temp He is afraid that if he applies any heat it may ruin all of the good solder and it could be a bad deal.
    What can be done to make the repair? Can I use some type of adhesive to the tank or is there another way to get this repaired properly?
    Thank you

Is it an internal or external leak?

Comment

External where it leaks on the engine

Comment

You can do it with a soldering iron

yJ1nJoXtdHWbswWJeY1XZ9fbCgF7Usn3p8ujzgY4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply
          The repair guy was fearful that the heat would cause all the other joints to come loose and we would have more leaks
          what do you think?

Comment

This is spot heating - don't worry.
            Heating with an open fire could be more troublesome.

Comment

In the Back Issues Archives
              In the last issue of 1993 and first issue of 1994
              There is a two part article on repairing/soldering gas tanks.

If for whatever reason; you don't want to give it a go. . .Please consider looking at
              response under Members Bike Builds/27BA Tanks

Good luck

Comment

Thanks everyone
                i really appreciate your help

Comment

Michael, try the link below and give these guys a call.
                  If you've developed an oil leak, its likely to assume that a gas leak is not far off on these old soldered tanks. With aggressive additive's involved in modern American gasolines, it is just a matter of time. When competent soldering is applied, the bad issue is that the heat follows the solder into the seams and opens them up. This will continually open many other joints and more heat will transfer, and you'll have many leaks where there were zero initially. This doesn't even take into the fact that more heat will transfer into your paint job! When applying a pressure test, just simple bolting the tanks back onto the chassis can also stress the makeshift repaired solder job, and leave you at square one. Any advertised quick or simple long term fixes, including the old soap trick, will not ensure your well being when on the open road. Save a major headache & get them repaired by a respected competent antique professional.
                  Anyway~good luck with your '35 VL.

** http://www.gas-tank.com

**Alex Harry's Radiator. **(626) 592-2212

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 01-11-2024, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all this great advice
                    i really appreciate all of you
                    Being a member of this great club exceeded all my expectations,,
                    I am telling others who love the old bikes to join up as I am sure they will enjoy their hobby even more like I am.

Comment

Hi guys,
                      I got hold of that company and they can't do the left tank that has the oil tank in front of the gas tank. They can only do gas tanks.
                      As I mentioned, my oil tank seeps and I am asking if there is anyone else that I can have do the repairs to this tank?
                      Locally, no one will touch it as you all have mentioned, it may open up a can of worms with more leaks etc.
                      Any help would be much appreciated.
                      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat View Post
                        Hi guys,
                        I got hold of that company and they can't do the left tank that has the oil tank in front of the gas tank. They can only do gas tanks.
                        As I mentioned, my oil tank seeps and I am asking if there is anyone else that I can have do the repairs to this tank?
                        Locally, no one will touch it as you all have mentioned, it may open up a can of worms with more leaks etc.
                        Any help would be much appreciated.
                        Thank you.
                        I'm not sure what difference the "OIL" tank would make. Once it's washed out and clean, why can't that be repaired exactly like a "GAS" tank? Can Oil permeate the metal? I'm no metallurgist for sure!
                        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I think I will buy a replacement repo tank.
                          This way I can ride the bike this summer and deal with the original tank by finding someone who can repair it for me and install it later.
                          I certainly don't want to have a drip cause a fire while I am using this great bike.
                          Do you guys have any suggestions where I can get a nice tank and deal with someone who is honest?
                          I have seen a few tanks on line and at different sites. A few don't look like the original tank at all. I sure would like to have something that is nice.
                          I certainly don't want to deal with someone out of the country if I can help it.
                          Thanks,

Comment

Not long ago, in December, I spent a few weeks repairing both tanks, and I hope everything will be fine, but it's just hope. It's a shame I didn't take pictures; it would have helped visually. The left one was leaking at the fuel connection, and the right one at the top, at the bottom where it is suspended. The problem was that someone tried to fix these leaks by sealing them from the inside with some resin or something similar. I planned to use Fertan, rustproof the tank, and paint the inside. Unfortunately, the glue inside prevented it on many surfaces. I then used nitro solvent to dissolve those layers, and it had some effect, but not everywhere. Moreover, the solvent started eating away at other areas, and leaks started in other places. I repeated the process many times, and rustproofing alone was helpful enough that the elements began to bond better.

The left one, for petrol, still leaked. I bought a long piece of copper for a smaller soldering iron, but it was too weak. I started heating it more and it released an oily substance. Another round of rustproofing and soldering. First one side and then the other. Finally, pouring very hot liquid inside, all leaks were stopped, or so it seemed. I was really fed up with it and bought primer and paint, covering everything. In the end, I had 6 leaks, but it's a completely different story than your tank. I didn't want to repaint the tanks, so I fought until the end. I poured gasoline, and it was okay - we'll see what happens when I hang both tanks on the frame. I still have other tasks to do, so I stopped thinking about it.

If you want me to help you with anything, or anyone else, take a photo and show where it's leaking. I'll go through my phone and maybe find some pictures or take some after painting and mark what I did.

These explanations surpass my knowledge of English, so I trained artificial intelligence to translate. I hope it's understandable.

Comment

What about Alex Trepanier?
                              I was planning to send him some RL tanks.
                              Anyone heard of him?

Comment

Working...
                              X