32 VL spark plug wire installation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 VL spark plug wire installation question

I'm very embarrassed to have to ask something like this. I am trying to install new plug wires into a new coil, and I've never been around a VL before. My customer supplied the coil and I have new correct plug wires, but I am not sure I have everything yet, because there is no end on the wires where they go into the coil, and I haven't been able to find a picture of that anywhere. When I put the wires in the terminals, one goes in a lot further than the other one before it bottoms out. I would sure appreciate it if someone could tell me the proper way to do this, and if I'm missing something, like brass ends for the wires that maybe need to be soldered on. Thanks, Jerry

Jerry,
    I Have never worked on a 32'VL. However the process may be the same as later models I'll assume.
    On those there is a warming process of the ignition coil itself. This can be done using various methods. Turning on the ignition allowing the coil to build heat over time, Using an existing battery and hooking it up to the terminals or a modern heat gun... Be careful not to over heat the ignition coil.
    This warms a sealing compound inside the coil. Once warm, you can install your high tension leads. Installation should be aided by lubricating the ends of the cable with light oil or dielectric.
    Hope this helps,
    Duke

Comment

In the bottom of the coil is a spike or metal tit if you will and the wire inside the insulation will push over it to make contact. Follow Duke's advice first.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Thank you very much! I will try that.

Comment

New coils usually dont have to be warmed up.If it is from VTwin it is probably not worth installing

Comment

The customer said it's been hand made by a guy that builds them to order. I know he said it was expensive, and it looks like very good quality, appearance-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
              The customer said it's been hand made by a guy that builds them to order. I know he said it was expensive, and it looks like very good quality, appearance-wise.
              If it is a Jeff Goorman it will be good.
              I always trim about 1/16" or so off the outer cable exposing the inner wires and then splay them out flat in a star pattern to make sure the contact is the best it can be. with the wires no wider than the cable outer and even slightly bevel the end of the cable and wires with a grinding wheel which makes them follow the channel in the coil. On a brand new unit I don't think I would warm it until after the wires are completely seated as the channel should be already sized for cable, and then warming it allows the tar filling to seal around the cables.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I do not think Jeff Goorman coils have tar filling in them.

Comment

Just FYI I do not use the tar as a potting compound on my coils. They do not need to be shorted out to heat the coil to replace the wires. I always email instructions on how to properly wire and install my coils with each purchase. One of the easiest ways to identify one of my coils is if it has been purchased with in the last couple of years there will be.a hand written serial number on the back side of the coil. If you are working with one of my coils feel free to email me and I can send you some basic instructions.

Take Care
                  Jeff Goorman
                  bulldogbrothersgarge@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X