1935/1936 Harley RL Frame and Fork Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935/1936 Harley RL Frame and Fork Differences

Does anyone here have knowledge of the slight change in the frame rake change between 1935 and 1936 on the Harley R series.
    Specifically if it affected any change to the ridged fork leg?
    My understanding is that the rake was reduced slightly for 1936 and that’s the only difference between the frames. This was done by machining the neck so that the upper bearing race was forward of center by a fair amount. The lower cup was kept in essentially the same position aside from the angle change, presumably for the steering damper and neck lock.
    I’m trying to figure out if the 1936 ridged fork legs are also swept forward by about 1/2” or is the leg perfectly straight from the triple clamp down to the rocker stud hole?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

My '38 is swept forward about 1/2".
    I read that in Johnny Sells book years ago but never looked at this fork to see if it was all 45" forks '36-'39.

Comment

Duffey
      Thanks for that info. I have one fork that is perfectly straight and one that is swept forward 1/2"
      Anybody have an original 1936 R / RL that they can check?
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

The only other one that I have is an NOS 1943 made replacement for 1930-1939

Comment

Is that one straight or swept forward?
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

BF143B19-355D-4194-A1B7-8A65B7AA4BA5.jpeg
            From Johnny Sells book. Not in the fork section oddly but in the 1936 frame description.
            ”The head angle was changed two degrees towards vertical and the forks were off-set 1/2”.”
            I now know which fork to use on my 1936 RLD.
            In absentia, thanks Johnny Sells.
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark...I should have given the page #

Comment

Working...
              X