WLA floor board extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA floor board extensions

Any one have any experience mounting these? TIA!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Yes, I have them on my '40 knucklehead which has the half moon boards. I don't know if they were made for the earlier rectangular boards but would fit those to I would think. In '41 or maybe a little later they came out with the tubular type? They were intended as rear passenger footrests but I use them on my solo machine so I have more space to move my feet around.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Rich - can you post a photo? Just so I can recon how they might attached.

I do have the '42 half moon boards. I very interested the the right side. I've got a lot of cables and stuff right between the right floorboard and frame. TIA!

EDIT: Do these only work with the earlier rectangle boards? If so, I may have to peddle these off.
      Last edited by Oko; 11-23-2023, 06:45 PM.

Comment

No I have them on the half moon boards. I don't post photos sorry. They sit over the back part of the board and the strap goes under and the screws on each side. They may not fit on a 45 if that's what your trying to put them on.I had a 45 and there is a lot going on with the boards mounting to the straps running fore and aft.
        DrSprocket

Comment

I have a set of them from Replicant Metals on my 40 Big Twin with half moon boards as well. They fit fine. My biggest concern is the mounting screw location on the left board coming into contact with my primary cover. I have a feeling at some point my primary cover is going to have a scratch and dent issue. But I do like having them for my feet to rest on. I'm tall with big feet, so they really help me.

20231124_080007.jpg

20231124_080016.jpg

20231124_080035.jpg

20231124_080057.jpg
          Eric Olson
          Membership #18488

Comment

Thanks Eric, A pictures worth a thousand words. Doc
            DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks Eric. As for rubbing on the primary, why not just cut some metal off for more clearance. Those look like repop, so nothing to lose there.

And Rich, you are correct. Too much in the way on my 45. Besides brake rods on the right side, I have engine guards that negate putting them on the front of the boards.

EDIT: I've not given up yet! Has anyone put on longer floorboard mounting bolts to get the floorboards out away from the frame?
              Last edited by Oko; 11-24-2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Oko, No way would they work on the front plus it negates their basic use. Spacing your boards out would put a lot more pressure on the metal straps that they are anchored to front to back.
                DrSprocket

Comment

Rich I was thinking of at least gaining 1", at least on the right (brake) side. That way the floorboard extensions would clear all the brake rods and springs.

Comment

I have never seen those on a WLA. The WLA was a Solo machine.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Were there 2 different types of straps? I seem to remember the square footboard straps were a straight piece of metal, but the half-moon straps had the divot in them to clear the footboard cleat.

Comment

Update: Installed them by using the 3.25-inch longer bolts. No issues. Not much more flex on the pedal straps than before.

And I gained the clearance for the floorboard extensions. The extra 1" of space cleared all the brake rods and springs.

They are shiny new painted, but that won't last long. This should make riding it more comfortable.

By the way, for you purists, this is a civilianized 1942. With lots of repop parts. It's to be a rider.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X