WLA License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA License Plates

While working on my 1942 XA project, I was looking for a 1942 Arizona License Plate to register it with. I looked through a box of old license plates that came from a friend who has since passed who was an avid Military collector (he actually rode a WLA in WWII) and came across the three "USA" license plates shown in the pics below. (The B&W pic was sent to me by a license plate "collector" who got it from someone else, so I don't know the source.) The plates are definitely for a motorcycle and NOS (one or two of them may have been mounted for a display at some point), but I am not sure if they are "real" or reproduction. They are stamped aluminum similar to what some of the States used for their license plates during that era. Trying to figure out what government department issued these and if they are real or not. Given the randomness of the numbers on the plates, I tend to think they are real, but any help identifying them is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Chuck S.

USA Plate Front Side.jpg
    USA Plate Back Side.jpg

Military USA Plate Pic.jpg
    Last edited by wallaman; 10-29-2023, 11:05 AM.

I know absolutely nothing about license plates in WW2 but I will say this - would they have been made out of aluminum considering the US has to import 99% of its bauxite ore from which aluminum is derived. I would think if real they would have been steel. Jerry

Comment

Very cool plates. If real my guess is that they would only have been used domestically on bases. Here is a plate I've had for some time.
      DCP_1730.JPG
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        I know absolutely nothing about license plates in WW2 but I will say this - would they have been made out of aluminum considering the US has to import 99% of its bauxite ore from which aluminum is derived. I would think if real they would have been steel. Jerry
        Jerry,
        That was my first reaction when I found them. But... I know in Arizona and I believe in some other States, some 40's era license plates were made from aluminum. I also don't know what the situation was at the time during the War with the supply of steel vs aluminum from a rationing vantage point. I am hoping that someone has a "used" REAL one that I can compare mine too and maybe figure out what they really are. Anyone out there have one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          Very cool plates. If real my guess is that they would only have been used domestically on bases.
          Robbie,
          Appreciate the reply and pic. There were several other used military plates in the box with the ones I posted similar to yours. Each one was specific to a Military base here in the US and they were all made from steel. I gave most of them to friends who lived near the Base the plate was from so they could use them on their WLA's for parades and shows, etc. None from Ft Knox though... very COOL!!
          Last edited by wallaman; 10-29-2023, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wallaman View Post

Jerry,
            That was my first reaction when I found them. But... I know in Arizona and I believe in some other States, some 40's era license plates were made from aluminum. I also don't know what the situation was at the time during the War with the supply of steel vs aluminum from a rationing vantage point. I am hoping that someone has a "used" REAL one that I can compare mine too and maybe figure out what they really are. Anyone out there have one of these?
            Well maybe but aluminum was strictly rationed during the war. Jerry

Comment

1940s Aluminum plates in Iowa were post war 1949 & were waffle texture

Comment

Here is a picture of a bike with a similar plate. This is from the collection of Armando Magri and was taken during the 2nd Fort Knox Endurance Run in 1943. Armando was in a special demonstration regiment at Fort Knox before shipping out, and he won the Endurance run that year.

Thick mud was a big problem for the more inexperienced riders..jpg

I also have this picture that's an internet snag. I don't have any details about it, so I can't say if it was taken stateside or somewhere overseas. The plate is very similar, but without the W out front.

42WLA1ADNumberPlate.jpg
                Eric Olson
                Membership #18488

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                  1940s Aluminum plates in Iowa were post war 1949 & were waffle texture
                  Duffey,
                  Thanks for the response. I did a little more checking on the Arizona plates I mentioned, and they were aluminum in 1947, 1948 and 1949 so post war. That doesn't answer my original question about my USA plates, but the info is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by EricOlson View Post
                    Here is a picture of a bike with a similar plate. This is from the collection of Armando Magri and was taken during the 2nd Fort Knox Endurance Run in 1943. Armando was in a special demonstration regiment at Fort Knox before shipping out, and he won the Endurance run that year.

I also have this picture that's an internet snag. I don't have any details about it, so I can't say if it was taken stateside or somewhere overseas. The plate is very similar, but without the W out front.
                    Eric,
                    Really appreciate your reply as well. Helps to have more confirmation that this USA style plate did exist and was actually used by the military. I'd still like to know specifically what Government agency issued them and when (although the dating of Magri photo is VERY helpful!). Really hoping that someone out there has an original to confirm what the ones I found are.

Comment

The plates were used on early model WLAs. They were dropped to save metal and the vehicles number was painted on the bike. My original plate that I gave to Bruce Palmer a couple decades ago was painted both front and back. Someone stole it from his WLA while it was in the judging area of an AMCA meet.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                        The plates were used on early model WLAs. They were dropped to save metal and the vehicles number was painted on the bike. My original plate that I gave to Bruce Palmer a couple decades ago was painted both front and back. Someone stole it from his WLA while it was in the judging area of an AMCA meet.
                        Now that is a beatin' offense!!
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          Chris,
                          Was the plate red with white letters? And was the back painted red? Last, do you recall if the plate was steel? - guessing it was...

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X