Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA Crankcase breather pipe

Hi Everyone,

Getting some traction with the mockup of the WLC. I'm skipping the Perkiomen Chapter Vintage Motorcycle meet at Jake's Flea Market today to continue road testing and tuning the VL. In the meantime...

I'm looking for pictures or detailed explanation of where the crankcase breather pipe comes out of the crankcase.

There's a part on eBay claimed to be the correct OEM pipe. It looks nothing like the part in the manual. Additionally, the part number is incorrect or from a different version. The manuals for the WLA and C show a part number of 543-37. The eBay posting shows 543-37B - this part number does not exist for either the A or the C, according to my manuals. The parts manual also shows four fastening bolts and washers. The eBay picture on has one screw hole. There is accompanying packaging that could be from anything - ergo part mismatch because someone jammed a pipe in the package just to get it out of the way. I've done that myself from time-to-time.

I've also looked on my '42 WLC crankcase for something similar to the picture in the parts manual. Can't find it. My apologies about the image quality.

Best regards,
    Lochlain

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 11.49.40 AM.png

That is a WLA breather pipe for fording creek.Attaches at bottom of cam cover breather port with a different cover that has a fitting for that nut.I think not all versions used them.That top piece attaches high
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 10-15-2023, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Ah! Thank you, duffeycycles.

Comment

I used to own this WLA motor and this is how it was attached.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Bruce Keith
        AMCA #1467

Comment

Originally posted by loch View Post
          Hi Everyone,

Getting some traction with the mockup of the WLC. I'm skipping the Perkiomen Chapter Vintage Motorcycle meet at Jake's Flea Market today to continue road testing and tuning the VL. In the meantime...

I'm looking for pictures or detailed explanation of where the crankcase breather pipe comes out of the crankcase.

There's a part on eBay claimed to be the correct OEM pipe. It looks nothing like the part in the manual. Additionally, the part number is incorrect or from a different version. The manuals for the WLA and C show a part number of 543-37. The eBay posting shows 543-37B - this part number does not exist for either the A or the C, according to my manuals. The parts manual also shows four fastening bolts and washers. The eBay picture on has one screw hole. There is accompanying packaging that could be from anything - ergo part mismatch because someone jammed a pipe in the package just to get it out of the way. I've done that myself from time-to-time.

I've also looked on my '42 WLC crankcase for something similar to the picture in the parts manual. Can't find it. My apologies about the image quality.

Best regards,
          Lochlain

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 11.49.40 AM.png

Hello Loch,
          I have this 1943 WLC engine in my shop, and have these pictures of the fording tube. At the top it attaches with one #10 screw into the top of a head bolt that is drilled to accept the small screw. At the bottom, as stated above, the "regular service: breather is replaced by one that has a 90 degree fitting to accept the large flared nut at the lower end. The pictures pretty much tell the story. If I did, I am sure that I have the part numbers for these components. The 543-37 part number was introduced early, I believe 1941, and superseded obviously by 543-37B and543-37C as the war progressed. Hope that helps.
          Great project,
          1939wl
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          Member # 8964

Comment

Here are a couple other pictures of the fording tube off of the 1943WLC in my shop.
            Hope they help,
            1939wl
            This gallery has 3 photos.
            Member # 8964

Comment

Working...
            X