Rims and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims and tires

Hey Gang! As I finish tuning and road testing the VL I’m being work on the WLC. This will be a little closer to a correct restoration. I’ve acquired a lot OEM and NOS parts over the years.

Last week I realized after reading original Army documentation that the bike was manufactured with 4.00 X 18 tires. So I’m hunting down the correct rims. Looking for information on how source and size rims. I’ve looked around and seen that modern tires and rim combos may not match in width, based on usage. Is this the case with the WLA/C application?

Thank you for your insights!

best regards,
    Loch

All W Series H-Ds including military models used rims made by Kelsey-Hayes. The rims have a unique cross section shape not matched by modern rims. The rear rim is common to many H-D models however the front rim is only for the W series half hub/drum and uses smaller diameter spokes and nipples. All the differences are well covered in Palmer's publications as well as others. Is your WLC stock or a custom?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I use the Coker 4:00x18 Firestone ANS's I believe is the proper term. They fit right and handle well and wear well. Remember your rear 18 rim is like the '40 and below BT but the front is a stand alone. Replicant makes a good rear 18 but I don't know if they make the front. Good luck. P.S. Front is different because of spoke angle. Should be military surplus out there.
      DrSprocket

Comment

WLA and WLC front wheels are different, WLC uses BT wheels. WLA 18" front wheels with built in drum can be found pretty easy on the Bay and at swaps in all conditions including cosmolene. I do not know how hard it would be to find a 18" BT front wheel. Rear 18" wheels seem harder to find, but I never looked as I run a 16" in the back.

Comment

True the WLC uses the BT rockers, front brake, and the front and rear wheels are interchangeable I believe I used that setup on a 1949 WL I just finished but I run a19 in the front.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Should say,WLC uses interchangeable 18" star hub wheels.They are not BT only..
            Front & rear are the same.
            To be more precise, hub style for a particular year of build.'39-'43,'44-'57 hubs.

Comment

I thought that was a given. Next time I'll split hairs. Architect and I said the same thing sort of kinda. Same hubs and rims (18") on WLC or it's big brother ( interchangeable front and rear) and the year of machine would have that year of hub. OK! Jeez!
              DrSprocket

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies. Seems a little confusing.

WLA and WLC front wheels are different, WLC uses BT wheels. WLA 18" front wheels with built in drum can be found pretty easy on the Bay and at swaps in all conditions including cosmolene. I do not know how hard it would be to find a 18" BT front wheel. Rear 18" wheels seem harder to find, but I never looked as I run a 16" in the back.
                Architect says the WLC and WLA wheels are different. I guess that means the front wheel does NOT use a drum-hub integral component but rather has a hub that is bolted to the brake drum much like the VL, or any early flathead I guess?

Not sure what BT stands for when talking about rims and hubs.

This machine is a true bastardized WLC that I got for a song but still feel I paid too much. Primarily because the seller was so convinced he had an original machine. I won't go into all of the parts that were clearly aftermarket and poorly manufactured reproductions.

After many years of going back and forth with how wanted to rebuild I've finally decided to get it as close to original as possible.

The current tires are 5.00 X 16. Obviously not correct. The hubs and drums are of the same, independent component, style, bolted together.

Thanks for all the help with this.

Loch
                Last edited by loch; 10-29-2023, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Loch, VL brakes are held on with a spline & have bearings in them, BT (means big twin, typically used to refer to 36ohv/37 74/80 flatheads & up) front brakes are held on with 5 lug bolts. the interchangable wheels (commonly called "star hub") fit 35 & 36R rear, 37-52 W rear, 36-66 OHV both, 37-48 BTSV both, 40-66 G front, & WLC both. perhaps a couple other variants as well.
                  If you already have 2 star hubs, just get some 18" spokes & KH rims & lace & true them up.

Comment

VL brakes are held on with a spline & have bearings in them, BT (means big twin, typically used to refer to 36ohv/37 74/80 flatheads & up) front brakes are held on with 5 lug bolts. the interchangable wheels (commonly called "star hub") fit 35 & 36R rear, 37-52 W rear, 36-66 OHV both, 37-48 BTSV both, 40-66 G front, & WLC both. perhaps a couple other variants as well.
                    Ah yes! I should know that. I just finished rebuilding my VL last summer. I stand corrected.

If you already have 2 star hubs, just get some 18" spokes & KH rims & lace & true them up.
                    This is actually good news. I was afraid I would need to hunt down different rims and hubs.

Thanks, Knucklehead!

Comment

Originally posted by loch View Post

Ah yes! I should know that. I just finished rebuilding my VL last summer. I stand corrected.

This is actually good news. I was afraid I would need to hunt down different rims and hubs.

Thanks, Knucklehead!
                      depending on how accurate you want to be, the hubs were late 39-43 or 44-57. there is a slight difference. the early hub has a recessed area for the zirk fitting.

Comment

Don't the WLC rims have holes for the anchor bolts, not present on the WLA rims? The WLC parts book calls this 12915-41, tire holding lug and shield complete, and says four off needed, so two on each wheel. You need to decide early on if you are building a 'points bike' for judging or 'just a rider'.

Comment

Don't the WLC rims have holes for the anchor bolts, not present on the WLA rims?
                          It does, and saw that before but had no idea what it's for. I looks like it goes in the rim where the air stem goes through?

Obviously the 5.00 x 16 inch rims that are on the bike now don't have these. I should hunt down a museum piece and shoot some photos. Bill's Bike Barn has more than a couple of WLAs on display, there might be a WLC also.

Best regards,
                          Lochlain

Comment

Rim locks are common dirt bike stuff and the WLC types worked the same way preventing a flat from ripping the valve stem off. Theyy do not go through the stem hole but have their own holes. They are wedges that keep the tire secrued to the rim even when flat.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                            X