Reproduction saddlebags for 1931 Harley VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction saddlebags for 1931 Harley VL

I need info on who makes or sells an accurate reproduction saddlebag set for a 1931 VL. Also did Harley offer a saddlebag for the VL in 1931? I read in the Johnny
    Sells DL/RL book that saddlebags were possibly first offered in Harley catalog for RL in 1936. Thanks.
    Last edited by Buster; 09-11-2023, 08:26 PM.

Originally posted by Buster View Post
    Also did Harley offer a saddlebag for the VL in 1931?
    This is from the 1931 Spring & Summer Catalogue. Apologies for the quality.

31 Saddlebags.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Cooke; 09-15-2023, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Dear Buster, here is my 1930 VL with saddlebags:

30VL11955right.JPG

These are not the ones from the 1931 brochure, which hook over the top of the mudguard, but the ones with the 'towel rail' fittings each side of the rear mudguard. They are the 'utility saddlebags' listed in the 1941/2 accessory catalog. I can't remember the manufacturer but they should be available new.

Comment

That is a beautiful looking 30 VL you have Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          Dear Buster, here is my 1930 VL with saddlebags:

30VL11955right.JPG

These are not the ones from the 1931 brochure, which hook over the top of the mudguard, but the ones with the 'towel rail' fittings each side of the rear mudguard. They are the 'utility saddlebags' listed in the 1941/2 accessory catalog. I can't remember the manufacturer but they should be available new.
          VERY NICE 1930 Steve! Those saddle bags look like they would only fit about 3 AMCA magazines (I'm kidding!) Here's a picture of mine. No saddlebags though. AND yes, I know a few things aren't "correct". But it runs good!

20230819_121718.jpg
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Brian up in Michigan makes any Saddlebag you want as close to factory specs as possible. His family has been doing motorcycle leather work for years. He also mass produces the PacTite bags sold commercially by Ted and others. Prices are very fair and quality is great. PM me for contact information.

Comment

Working...
            X