Pea Shooter Valve Stems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea Shooter Valve Stems

Any recommendation for lubricating valve stems on a pea shooter. The zerk fittings to lube the rocker shafts are obvious, but what / how do you lube the valve stems / guides? I've heard about high temp spray lube, but most of that is graphite. Does anyone have a recommendation or know what they did "back in the day"?

I made some thick(ish) felt washers that I put within the valve stems, and valve springs on my 1917 Henderson. I would soak the felt washers with 'Slick 50, or any of those miracle snake oil products via an oil can spout that would protrude between the spring coils. I believe the Peashooter has exposed valve springs so, why not? Unfortunately, oil will attract grit and that's not good for guides, and stems, but in my case, I had no intention of beating up a nice old Henderson on a rich guy, cannonball pissing contest.
    Last edited by exeric; 08-11-2023, 05:17 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I to used felt washers on my valve stems above my guides on my intake valves on my 1928 Super X. They worked well.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Although a BA and not an SA, thought I could add my two cents. I try to run 100LL Avgas in the bike and just make sure that I have grease in the cups for the shafts.
        When I can't get avgas I put a lead substitue and marvel mystery oil in the gas.
        I only run it a couple of times a year for short amounts of time, so not too sure if I'm being a good conservator or not......
        Open to suggestions as well

IMG_1565.jpeg

Comment

Thanks guys,

The felt washers with lube makes sense, but I would wonder about attracting dirt / grit causing unnecessary wear. Maybe a tiny squirt of high temp graphite lube and keep a close eye on it?

https://www.crcindustries.com/extrem...lube-12-wt-oz/

or

https://www.crcindustries.com/dry-gr...lube-10-wt-oz/

110 Avgas will have lead, but I wonder about high octane in a relatively low compression motor. Maybe 87 or 89 with an additive?

Open to thoughts

Comment

Working...
          X