Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First start after rebuild

Hey guys,

I'll be starting the VL for the first time since, well, since I purchased it.

Stuff done, basically top end rebuild; new pistons and rings, honed cylinders, new values and guides, lapped, new valve springs. tranny gone through, new clutch plates. New brake shoes, new grease everywhere it should be, new hub sealed bearings, new spokes, new tires and tubes, new instrument panel, rewired according to diagram and advice from Steve regarding grounding to frame (No. 130, see how I didn't have to look this up, I'm officially a VL nut) So this will be the first time starting this bike. Also changed over to the copper gaskets for the heads, new manifold nuts and brass rings, and of course - leak tested.

When I first brought it home it was in such poor condition I didn't want to run it despite the previous owner stating he'd had it on short runs. Good thing for him since the primary gas tank line was missing - he was running entirely off of the reserve tank.

Break in period? Should I follow the owner's manual guidelines? When I get it fired up I'm going to want to run down the road. But my guess is it will need some adjustments to the carburetor and throttle to set the idle, but this cannot be accomplished until the engine is warm.

Any advice on this procedure and process, steps to follow, things to be aware of?

Best regards,
    Loch

Originally posted by loch View Post
    ... But my guess is it will need some adjustments to the carburetor and throttle to set the idle, but this cannot be accomplished until the engine is warm.

Any advice on this procedure and process, steps to follow, things to be aware of?...
    Please make certain, Loch,...

That the throttle bellcrank is adjusted to where it stops with the disc wide open.

Then with the disc fully closed, you will feel it open slightly when the idle screw is turned to touch the stop; It doesn't take much.

I sent them out with initial needle settings of one-and-a-half on the HS, and three-and-a-half on the LS, if your manifold is truly sealed. Nobody complained.

Good luck!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-16-2023, 02:38 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
    X